2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Australia
By Rachelle Corpuz | August 28, 2014 11:27 AM EST
The Boomers enter the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup in Spain ranked ninth overall and second in its group. With young and fresh talents in the roster and despite the absence of two of its key players, Patty Mills and Andrew Bogut, Australia aims to win its first gold medal at the tournament.
Australia boasts four players from the National Basketball Association (NBA) headlined by Aron Baynes (San Antonio Spurs), Cameron Bairstow (Chicago Bulls), Dante Exum (Utah Jazz), and Brock Motum (Utah Jazz). Bairstow, Exum, Motum make their debut in a major international tournament.
Adam Gibson, who plays team captain for the Adelaide 36ers, is the only player from National Basketball League (NBL) to make the squad.
David Andersen will be playing in his fifth major international tournament. Andersen played for Australia at the FIBA Oceania Championship 2003, the FIBA Oceania Championship 2005, and the FIBA Oceania Championship 2007. Andersen was also part of Australia's roster in the 2010 FIBA World Championship held in Turkey.
Veterans Joe Ingles and Brad Newley will also be huge factors to help the Boomers achieve their goal. Ingles has performed fairly well exhibition matches prior the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup.
The Boomers are prepped to aggressive style of basketball on international stage. The team can rely on Ingles, who can play great defence. Motum has a high basketball IQ and athleticism. They have a loaded backcourt comprised of Exum and Dellavedova. They will have no shortage of talent that could contain key opposition players and cause disappointment to some of the most preferred teams in the tournament.
Boomers World Cup Team (Club/Position)
David Andersen (Strasbourg Illkirch-Graffenstaden Basket; France/Power Forward)
Cameron Bairstow (Chicago Bulls; NBA/Power Forward, Center)
Aron Baynes (San Antonio Spurs; NBA/Center)
Ryan Broekhoff (Beşiktaş J.K. İstanbul; Turkey/Shooting Guard, Small Forward)
Matthew Dellavedova (Cleveland Cavaliers; NBA/Point Guard)
Dante Exum (Utah Jazz; NBA/Point Guard)
Adam Gibson (Adelaide 36ers; NBL/Guard)
Chris Goulding (Basket Zaragoza 2002 S. A. D.; Spain/Shooting Guard)
Joe Ingles (Maccabi Tel Aviv B.C.; Israel/Shooting Guard, Small Forward)
Nathan Jawai (Galatasaray Liv Hospital; Turkey/Power Forward, Center)
Brock Motum (Utah Jazz; NBA/Power Forward)
Brad Newley (Club Baloncesto Gran Canaria - Claret, S.A.D., Spain/Small Forward, Shooting Guard)
Australia Schedule at the 2014 FIBA World Cup
The top four teams will advance to play in the knockout stages of the tournament.
MORE SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT NEWS:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- NBA Preview: Milwaukee Bucks Look to Develop Youngsters Jabari Parker, Giannis Antetokounmpo
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'