Keith Urban's 16th Number Hit, 'We Were Us' Supposed To Be 'American Idol's' Runner Up Lauren Alaina's
By Annie Dee | August 28, 2014 11:22 AM EST
"We Were Us," the 16th Number One hit for Keith Urban that have him singing alongside the beautiful Miranda Lambert, was not supposed to be his in the first place. Fate intervened however and Keith was able to snag the tune first. Adding Lambert into the mix was both a risky and genius move that worked out more than fine in the end.
Musician Keith Urban performs ''Cop Car'' during the 2014 CMT Music Awards in Nashville, Tennessee June 4, 2014.
In an interview with Rolling Stone Country, the song's co-writer, Jon Nite shared that "American Idol" runner up Lauren Alaina was supposed to do it at one point, but Keith managed to get his hands on it first.
"It was one of those immediate things," Keith shared to the reporters at a press conference on his first listen. "It started out that I loved the imagery. I love that way of songwriting where you can plug everything else in as a listener - it's like telegraph writing: 'Had baby, stop. 8 lbs, 7 oz, stop.' You fit everything else in between."
Miranda Lambert was a quick choice for a singing partner, Keith shared. The moment he decided he wanted the song to be a male-female duet, Mirada's face and voice came to him immediately. However, it was not that easy to convince his team to turn the song into a duet. And when approved, there were also a lot of arguments when arranging the song. Many do not like the idea of Lambert singing first, Keith shared. The legendary country singer tried switching the order of the verses, but he did not like the outcome. They tweaked on the song until a masterpiece come off it and their gamble paid off. Even though they were unsure that the song could move beyond an album track from 2013's Fuse, they took the risk. The single went platinum and Keith received a plaque for it.
People Magazine reports that while on a party with songwriters Nicolle Galyon, Jon Nite and Jimmy Robbins and some fans at Nashville on Monday to celebrate their victory however, noticeably absent by Keith's side is his wife, Nicole Kidman and his singing partner, Miranda Lambert. Keith mentioned them on his message to his fans though.
"Nic is in New York making a movie so she couldn't be here, but she asked me to say hello to everyone," Urban told the crowd. "This song went No. 1 quite some time ago, and we spent a long time trying to get my schedule and Miranda's schedule synced up. We finally had to do [the party] without her."
Miranda Lambert was also able to send in a warm video message to express her gratitude to the writers and Keith Urban for choosing her.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy 2’ Nebula Is Alive And James Gunn Wants Fans To See More Of Her
- Selena Gomez And Justin Bieber: Songstress Fears Pregnancy After Experiencing Pregnancy Symptoms—Report
- 'American Horror Story' Season 4 Episode 8 Spoilers: Big Twist Features Dandy In Blood Bath
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Katey Sagal On Gemma Teller’s Fate in ‘Red Rose’ [VIDEO]
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast