Before ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire’: Pokken Tournament Shown Off As New Pokemon Title
By Gel Galang | August 28, 2014 10:48 AM EST
As promised by Nintendo, a newly revealed trailer shows off a new Pokemon arcade game titled "Pokken Tournament." The new Pokemon title is a game that's the brainchild of a partnership between The Pokemon Company and "Tekken" creator BANDAI Namco Games.
Tsunekazu Ishihara, president and chief executive officer of The Pokemon Company and producer of Pokemon, introduces the new "Pokemon Art Academy" game during a news conference at the 2014 Electronic Entertainment Expo, known as E3, in Los Angeles, California June 11, 2014.
The developers have not yet revealed the full of details on what the game will be about, so all that fans can explore would be the small tidbits given in the first look gameplay trailer, seen below.
According to Forbes, "Pokken Tournament's" trailer shows off what appear to be fighting-type Pokemons exchanging punches, kicks and other powers in an open field. As far as gameplay is concerned, this feels more like a cutscene of an exchange of blows rather than the actual gameplay itself. Though considering that it's an arcade game, it would be a wonder if this will go beyond what has been released for the likes of "Tekken," a game that the title is pretty much going after, looks- and feels-wise.
Apart from the first look trailer, DualShockers has also spotted statements from The Pokemon Company's Tsunekazu Ishihara and Katsuhiro Harada and producer of Soul Calibur Masaaki Hoshino, each referring to a different aspect of "Pokken Tournament."
"Pokemon has been a challenge due to the various gameplay types so far, however, nobody has had an experience like this new Pokemon game. For what we had directed, Pokemon's reactive moves have been perfected. By assembling both Bandai and Namco, who are ultimately creating this 3D action game, it is being fully realized," Ishihara said as quoted by DualShockers.
Ishihara also added that "Pokken Tournament" may be the fighting game that fans of the Pokemon franchise will be amazed by, regardless if they have already played a fighting game or not.
Harada mentions that "Pokken Tournament" will feature basic fighting action moves instead of "battle actions" which will allow the players a range of what they want to do with their character. This is perhaps meant to be seen as a new way of fighting in Pokemon without relying on any special moves, but rather training your character to be good at battles.
Finally, Hoshino also stated that "Pokken Tournament" will run at 60fps, which could mean another upscale of the "Pokemon" franchise. The trailer does depict a more improved take on graphics, with the design built on how the creators would imagine Pokemons if they were in the real world.
The planned "arcade release" is in 2015 in Japan, and there has been no mention of release on Nintendo platforms like the 3DS or Wii U. In any case, "Pokken Tournament" is promise as a Pokemon game that's never been seen before, so best to watch out for more details in the coming months.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Women’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 - Li Na, Sharapova, Kvitova, And Williams
Join the Conversation
- ‘Minecraft PS Vita,’ PS4 And Xbox One Updates And More On The Microsoft Deal
- 'The Sims 4' Mods: Buff Emotion Changes, Pay Very Low Bills And Enable Advanced Debug For Cheats
- iPhone 6 Plus Sold Out Apple Store Crash Due to Pre-orders: Where to Place Your Orders and the Packages Offered in the US and UK
- Meet 3 New 'Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire' Mega Evolutions And Legendary Rayquaza
- Minecraft: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang Makers of Minecraft Today
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date