Before ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire’: Pokken Tournament Shown Off As New Pokemon Title
By Gel Galang | August 28, 2014 10:48 AM EST
As promised by Nintendo, a newly revealed trailer shows off a new Pokemon arcade game titled "Pokken Tournament." The new Pokemon title is a game that's the brainchild of a partnership between The Pokemon Company and "Tekken" creator BANDAI Namco Games.
Tsunekazu Ishihara, president and chief executive officer of The Pokemon Company and producer of Pokemon, introduces the new "Pokemon Art Academy" game during a news conference at the 2014 Electronic Entertainment Expo, known as E3, in Los Angeles, California June 11, 2014.
The developers have not yet revealed the full of details on what the game will be about, so all that fans can explore would be the small tidbits given in the first look gameplay trailer, seen below.
According to Forbes, "Pokken Tournament's" trailer shows off what appear to be fighting-type Pokemons exchanging punches, kicks and other powers in an open field. As far as gameplay is concerned, this feels more like a cutscene of an exchange of blows rather than the actual gameplay itself. Though considering that it's an arcade game, it would be a wonder if this will go beyond what has been released for the likes of "Tekken," a game that the title is pretty much going after, looks- and feels-wise.
Apart from the first look trailer, DualShockers has also spotted statements from The Pokemon Company's Tsunekazu Ishihara and Katsuhiro Harada and producer of Soul Calibur Masaaki Hoshino, each referring to a different aspect of "Pokken Tournament."
"Pokemon has been a challenge due to the various gameplay types so far, however, nobody has had an experience like this new Pokemon game. For what we had directed, Pokemon's reactive moves have been perfected. By assembling both Bandai and Namco, who are ultimately creating this 3D action game, it is being fully realized," Ishihara said as quoted by DualShockers.
Ishihara also added that "Pokken Tournament" may be the fighting game that fans of the Pokemon franchise will be amazed by, regardless if they have already played a fighting game or not.
Harada mentions that "Pokken Tournament" will feature basic fighting action moves instead of "battle actions" which will allow the players a range of what they want to do with their character. This is perhaps meant to be seen as a new way of fighting in Pokemon without relying on any special moves, but rather training your character to be good at battles.
Finally, Hoshino also stated that "Pokken Tournament" will run at 60fps, which could mean another upscale of the "Pokemon" franchise. The trailer does depict a more improved take on graphics, with the design built on how the creators would imagine Pokemons if they were in the real world.
The planned "arcade release" is in 2015 in Japan, and there has been no mention of release on Nintendo platforms like the 3DS or Wii U. In any case, "Pokken Tournament" is promise as a Pokemon game that's never been seen before, so best to watch out for more details in the coming months.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- 'World Of Warcraft' ‘The Iron Tide' 6.0.2 Patch Hotfixes Update Including New Resolved Issues Regarding Scenarios, Raids, Classes, Battlegrounds And Arenas
- Sony Xperia Z3 Launched In Japan Has 32 GB Storage Compared To 16 GB International Model
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports