Earth Splits Open Mysteriously In Mexico Causing Locals To Worry; Experts Explain
By jaskiran kaur | August 28, 2014 10:14 AM EST
A giant crack appeared in the Earth in Mexico. The half-mile long fissure baffled the locals and the scientists, leaving them worried.
According to a Daily Mail report, the crack in the earth across Highway 26 and the Gulf of California was discovered last week. It is the highway that connects the city of Hermosillo Desde El Cielo in the northwest of Mexico to the coast.
While the investigation is still underway, some scientists reportedly suggest that the opening of the earth could be the result of the tremors of earthquake at San Andreas Fault that occurred on Sunday before. A video gives the viewers a look at the 16 feet (5 meters) wide and 26 feet (8 meters) deep crack. It is an aerial view of the crack taken by a drone flying over.
Some other experts have a different reasoning to the mysterious phenomena. The report notes that Civil Engineer from University of Sonora suggests that the opening may have occurred due to construction done by farmers to "contain rain water." The topographical shift of land did cause locals to worry.
Geologist Martin Moreno spoke to El Manana newspaper and said that the locals should not worry because of the fissures. According to Moreno, "the underground stream could have undermined the earth above it and cause it to collapsed" (as translated by Daily Mail).
According to Washington Post, Inocente Guadalupe Espinoza Maldonado a geologist from University of Sonora said: "These are normal manifestations of the destabilization of the ground.
The report notes that there was no damage of property or life reported. The expert reportedly revealed that cotton was the main crop grown on the land until government set some limitations. Watch the video of the giant crack in the Mexico, below.
Video: 8/20/2014- Giant Fissure Opens In North Mexico-1KmLong/25 Feet Deep-Major Movement
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’