British Woman Refuses to be Groped at Notting Hill Carnival, Gets Punched in Face
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | August 28, 2014 9:27 AM EST
A UK woman shared her selfie on Facebook after she was hit by a stranger. The incident took place at the Notting Hill Carnival on Monday, Aug. 25 at around 5:30 in the evening. The stranger allegedly punched her in the face when she did not allow him to grope her.
A performer takes part in the Notting Hill Carnival in west London August 25, 2014.
Mary Brandon posted the "bloody" photo on the social network that was shared by thousands of people so far. She said that she had to spend nine hours in the hospital for medical attention after she had been hit by the stranger. Brandon apparently shared the image to raise awareness against such assault. "Get the word out that this isn't OK," she wrote.
Brandon described the assault in detail. "A man in the crowd grabbed my arse. When I told him not to he did it again," she wrote, "I pushed him away, exercising my right to tell a man to stop touching my body without my permission, so he took a swing at me and punched me in the face."
The Leeds University student wrote that she was "not normally one for over sharing" on social media. "Carnival is supposed to be about community and good vibes. I wanted to have a good time but instead I spent 9 hours in A&E because of this coward," she wrote, "I'm so pissed off that this man thought it was OK to hit me because I said no to him."
Brandon further elaborated her stand on random assaults on women. She wrote that many might think it would be "safer to just ignore it" during such incidents. "But I can honestly say I will always stand up to someone who thinks they can get away with this behaviour," she wrote. She said that she would "take a punch again" from anyone who thought it was OK to treat women in such a manner.
Brandon's bruised image apparently inspired several other women to tell their real life experiences of sexual abuse at the carnival. Hannah Dart, a Facebook user, wrote that she had come across another woman who suffered sexual abuse at the carnival. The woman was apparently threatened with a "broken bottle held up to her face" as she protested when her friend was groped. "Keep standing up for yourself, you did an amazing job," she told Brandon.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Image Of An Alien Revealed By US Intelligence Agent Suggests Existence Of Extraterrestrial Life -- Report
- US Police Release Video Of Officers Shooting 12-Year-Old Tamir Rice
- US Toddler, 3, Shoots Mother To Death With 9mm Handgun
- NSW Girl, 12, Takes Wheel of Mazda MX5 & Saves Lives After Father Suffers Heart Attack
- Viral Video Celebrity Impressions: Comedian Lauren O'Brien Impersonates Famous Female Celebrities While Stuck In Traffic [WATCH VIDEO]
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates