2014 FIBA World Cup Preview: Argentina
By Dana Alyssa Ramos | August 27, 2014 11:47 PM EST
Arguably the best team out of South America, Argentina national team will be playing at the 2014 FIBA World Cup with a strong veteran base under coach Julio Lamas.
The Argentines made it to the semi-finals of the 2012 London Olympics but that performance is seen as a last hurrah of a golden generation of basketball stars. The international championship window is closing fast on Argentina, which will be missing previous regulars in Carlos Delfino and Manu Ginobili in Spain.
Although Argentina national team comes into the 2014 FIBA World Cup with an experienced squad under coach Lamas, the loss of Ginobili hurts the team's chances because of a lack of a true star in the line-up.
Previously, Argentina proved to be a strong team in the international scene. In 2002, Argentina finished with a runner up place at the FIBA Basketball World Cup. In 2005, the Argentines bagged the gold in Athens beating Italy 84-69, which started the golden generation name for the Argentina basketball stars. In 2008, the team won bronze at the Olympics and took home the fourth place in the 2012 London games.
Argentina is in group B in the 2014 FIBA World Cup along with Croatia, Puerto Rico, Greece, Senegal and the Philippines.
Argentina Projected 12-Man Roster for 2014 World Cup in Spain:
Facundo Campazzo, Pablo Prigioni, Nicolas Laprovittola, Selem Safar
Marcos Mata, Matias Bortolin, Marcos Delia, Walter Herrmann, Leo Gutierrez, Luis Scola, Andres Nocioni
Scola and Prigioni will be the most familiar players in Argentina's roster owing to their experience in the National Basketball Association (NBA). Scola is with the Indiana Pacers and Prigioni plays for the New York Knicks-- both players playing a back-up role for their respective squads.
Scola remains one of the biggest stars from the Argentina NT while Prigioni's veteran presence provides stability in the backcourt.
The 2014 FIBA World Cup in Spain is scheduled from Aug. 30 to Sept. 14.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up