2014 FIBA World Cup Preview: Argentina
By Dana Alyssa Ramos | August 27, 2014 11:47 PM EST
Arguably the best team out of South America, Argentina national team will be playing at the 2014 FIBA World Cup with a strong veteran base under coach Julio Lamas.
The Argentines made it to the semi-finals of the 2012 London Olympics but that performance is seen as a last hurrah of a golden generation of basketball stars. The international championship window is closing fast on Argentina, which will be missing previous regulars in Carlos Delfino and Manu Ginobili in Spain.
Although Argentina national team comes into the 2014 FIBA World Cup with an experienced squad under coach Lamas, the loss of Ginobili hurts the team's chances because of a lack of a true star in the line-up.
Previously, Argentina proved to be a strong team in the international scene. In 2002, Argentina finished with a runner up place at the FIBA Basketball World Cup. In 2005, the Argentines bagged the gold in Athens beating Italy 84-69, which started the golden generation name for the Argentina basketball stars. In 2008, the team won bronze at the Olympics and took home the fourth place in the 2012 London games.
Argentina is in group B in the 2014 FIBA World Cup along with Croatia, Puerto Rico, Greece, Senegal and the Philippines.
Argentina Projected 12-Man Roster for 2014 World Cup in Spain:
Facundo Campazzo, Pablo Prigioni, Nicolas Laprovittola, Selem Safar
Marcos Mata, Matias Bortolin, Marcos Delia, Walter Herrmann, Leo Gutierrez, Luis Scola, Andres Nocioni
Scola and Prigioni will be the most familiar players in Argentina's roster owing to their experience in the National Basketball Association (NBA). Scola is with the Indiana Pacers and Prigioni plays for the New York Knicks-- both players playing a back-up role for their respective squads.
Scola remains one of the biggest stars from the Argentina NT while Prigioni's veteran presence provides stability in the backcourt.
The 2014 FIBA World Cup in Spain is scheduled from Aug. 30 to Sept. 14.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid