Real Madrid Unveils Yohji Yamamoto Champions League Kit With Intertwined Dragons
By Christine Jane Caparras | August 27, 2014 11:25 PM EST
Spanish giants Real Madrid CF are getting ready to defend their UEFA Champions League title for the 2014/2015 season and to kick off the campaign, the defending champions unveiled their specially designed third kit to be used specifically for the Champions League.
Real Madrid's James Rodriguez poses beside a model of a dragon during the launching ceremony of the team's new UEFA Champions League kit at Santiago Bernabeu stadium in Madrid August 26, 2014. Real Madrid's players will wear this kit, designed by Japanese artist Yohji Yamamoto, in their away matches during the upcoming Champions League season.
Adidas and Real Madrid continue their long-running relationship in providing one of the most successful clubs in history their battle gear for competition in the form of the players' kits and other equipment. The team's iconic white home kit will be accented this year by bright pink details. While the home kits will always be primarily white, the away and third kits always provide the team with more room for creativity and flexibility. Just this week, in the heels of their first Spanish La Liga game and opening victory against Cordoba, the team unveiled the third kit meant to boost their defence of "La Decima" or their long awaited tenth Champions League Victory.
The black kit with white details looks menacing with a never-before seen design in front featuring two dragons. The interwoven dragon design was made for the team by renowned Japanese designer Yohji Yamamoto. The two dragons emblazoned at the torso represent the dragon king and the bird dragon as explained in the club's official website. The players are thrilled with the oriental design and they find it to be an apt representation of their title defence.
"We experienced it with the strength we have always had. We came very close to one or two more finals, but in the end we won our tenth European title last season. Both the bird and the dragon symbolise the resurgence of recent years and strength for the coming season." Real Madrid captain Iker Casillas said.
Adidas proudly uses Adizero patented technology for the Real Madrid kit which is light and comfortable while ensuring maximum performance. The design was described to symbolise greatness, glory and power through the dragon king and the accompanying bird dragon represents adaptability to hostile situations as well as resilience and determination. These values are what the players feel they needed most in their long quest to secure their tenth Champions League title and what they will need again to defend it.
After the presentation with all the key players in the presidential box of the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium, new Real Madrid signing James Rodriguez delighted fans by unveiling the new kit to the public. The Real Madrid Shop located at the Stadium also officially started selling replicas of the new kit on the same day that it was unveiled. Fans from overseas can also place their orders online via the Real Madrid Online Store and soon in Adidas stores worldwide.
Photos of the new kit may be viewed through the Real Madrid official Instagram site: http://instagram.com/realmadrid
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change