Real Madrid Unveils Yohji Yamamoto Champions League Kit With Intertwined Dragons
By Christine Jane Caparras | August 27, 2014 11:25 PM EST
Spanish giants Real Madrid CF are getting ready to defend their UEFA Champions League title for the 2014/2015 season and to kick off the campaign, the defending champions unveiled their specially designed third kit to be used specifically for the Champions League.
Real Madrid's James Rodriguez poses beside a model of a dragon during the launching ceremony of the team's new UEFA Champions League kit at Santiago Bernabeu stadium in Madrid August 26, 2014. Real Madrid's players will wear this kit, designed by Japanese artist Yohji Yamamoto, in their away matches during the upcoming Champions League season.
Adidas and Real Madrid continue their long-running relationship in providing one of the most successful clubs in history their battle gear for competition in the form of the players' kits and other equipment. The team's iconic white home kit will be accented this year by bright pink details. While the home kits will always be primarily white, the away and third kits always provide the team with more room for creativity and flexibility. Just this week, in the heels of their first Spanish La Liga game and opening victory against Cordoba, the team unveiled the third kit meant to boost their defence of "La Decima" or their long awaited tenth Champions League Victory.
The black kit with white details looks menacing with a never-before seen design in front featuring two dragons. The interwoven dragon design was made for the team by renowned Japanese designer Yohji Yamamoto. The two dragons emblazoned at the torso represent the dragon king and the bird dragon as explained in the club's official website. The players are thrilled with the oriental design and they find it to be an apt representation of their title defence.
"We experienced it with the strength we have always had. We came very close to one or two more finals, but in the end we won our tenth European title last season. Both the bird and the dragon symbolise the resurgence of recent years and strength for the coming season." Real Madrid captain Iker Casillas said.
Adidas proudly uses Adizero patented technology for the Real Madrid kit which is light and comfortable while ensuring maximum performance. The design was described to symbolise greatness, glory and power through the dragon king and the accompanying bird dragon represents adaptability to hostile situations as well as resilience and determination. These values are what the players feel they needed most in their long quest to secure their tenth Champions League title and what they will need again to defend it.
After the presentation with all the key players in the presidential box of the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium, new Real Madrid signing James Rodriguez delighted fans by unveiling the new kit to the public. The Real Madrid Shop located at the Stadium also officially started selling replicas of the new kit on the same day that it was unveiled. Fans from overseas can also place their orders online via the Real Madrid Online Store and soon in Adidas stores worldwide.
Photos of the new kit may be viewed through the Real Madrid official Instagram site: http://instagram.com/realmadrid
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Boxing News: Freddie Roach Not Buying Into Arum's Claim Of Pacquiao v Mayweather In 2015, Claims 'Money' Will Say 'No' After Algieri Fight
- Door Is Open For Brock Lesnar To Make UFC Return -- Dana White
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports