‘Sin City: A Dame To Kill For' Movie Review: Best And Worst Moments Of The Film [WATCH VIDEO]
By Janice Somosot | August 27, 2014 7:56 PM EST
"Sin City: A Dame To Kill For" which is distributed by Dimension Films was shown in U.S., UK and Canadian theatres on Friday, Aug. 22, 2014. It stars Jessica Alba (Nancy Callahan), Mickey Rourke (Marv), Bruce Willis (John Hartigan), Eva Green (Ava Lord), Rosario Dawson (Gail), Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Johnny), Jeremy Piven (Bob), Josh Brolin (Dwight McCarthy), Ray Liotta (Joey), Christopher Lloyd (Kroenig), Jaime King (Goldie and Wendy), Alexa Vega (Gilda), Jamie Chung (Miho), Juno Temple (Sally), Lady Gaga (Bertha) and Powers Booth (Senator Roarke). Here is a movie review of "Sin City: A Dame To Kill For" including the best and worst moments of the film.
Cast member Eva Green poses at the premiere of "Sin City: A Dame to Kill For" in Hollywood, California August 19, 2014. The movie opens in the U.S. on August 22.
"Sin City: A Dame To Kill For" is written by Frank Miller who also directed it, along with Robert Rodriguez. It's produced by Rodriguez, Mark Manuel, Stephen L'Heureux, Alexander Rodnyansky, Sergei Bespalov and Aaron Kaufman. The film's runtime is 102 minutes or 1 hour and 42 minutes. Its plot is divided into five stories namely "Just Another Saturday Night," "The Long Bad Night (Part I)," "A Dame to Kill For," "The Long Bad Night (Part II)" and "Nancy's Last Dance."
1. Marv took out the frat boys who were causing mayhem and crimes. ("Just Another Saturday Night")
2. Johnny (Joseph Gordon Levitt) continuously won money in the slot machines and poker games, beating Senator Roarke (Powers Booth). ("The Long Bad Night (Part I)"
3. Dwight McCarthy (Josh Brolin) successfully got his revenge on Ava Lord (Eva Green) by killing her as she attempted to woo him again. ("A Dame to Kill For")
4. Lady Gaga appeared as a waitress and how she gave Johnny a dollar which he used to get more money in the slot machines. ("The Long Bad Night (Part II)")
5. Nancy Callahan (Jessica Alba) ended senator Roarke's life with a gunshot, with the help of John Hartigan's (Bruce Willis) ghost. ("Nancy's Last Dance")
1. Marv got shot by the leader of the frat boys. Also, when Marv lost his memory. ("Just Another Saturday Night")
2. Johnny's hand was maimed and his leg was shot. Plus, he was left for dead after being told he was Senator Roarke's illegitimate son. ("The Long Bad Night (Part I)"
3. Dwight got horribly disfigured from a gunshot in the face and almost died trying to help his ex-lover Ava. ("A Dame to Kill For")
4. Johnny saw Senator Roarke with Marcie's (Julia Garner) dead and dismembered body. And, when Roarke killed him after he beat him again in a card game. ("The Long Bad Night (Part II)")
5. Nancy is shown having a hard time getting over Hartigan's suicide and her slow self-destruction after it. ("Nancy's Last Dance")
BOX OFFICE INFO:
Box Office Mojo reported that as of Monday, Aug. 25, 2014, Frank Miller's "Sin City: A Dame to Kill For" has earned $11,565,361 worldwide (Domestic Total: $6,933,267 + Foreign Total: $4,632,094). "Sin City: A Dame to Kill For" earned $6,317,683 in its opening weekend.
The Internet Movie Database (IMDb) rating for "Sin City: A Dame to Kill For" is 7.2/10 from 7,277 users. It garnered a Metascore of 45/100 from various critics including Richard Roeper of Chicago Sun-Times and James Mottram of Total Film.
ROTTEN TOMATOES RATINGS:
According to the Tomatometer, "Sin City: A Dame to Kill For" deserves a 45% score and is considered Rotten by Rotten Tomatoes. It scored a 5.4/10 average rating, with 71 considering it rotten and 57 considering it fresh. It also got a 67% score and a 3.9/5 rating from the audience.
REVIEWS OF CRITICS:
"Unmistakably an exercise in style over substance," Nikki Baughan wrote in The List.
Meanwhile, film critic Nathan Rabin of The Dissolve said that "Sin City: A Dame to Kill For" was just a "brainless hyper-pulp."
"Enjoyable second round," Matt Goodman said in a review posted on the Rotten Tomatoes website.
Super reviewer Bradley Wright also wrote on the Rotten Tomatoes website that "Sin City: A Dame to Kill For" is entertaining.
The "Sin City: A Dame to Kill For" movie review provides insights and a brief overview of the said film, including its best and worst moments, box office records, audience and critics' reviews and ratings from the Internet Movie Database or IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes. According to IMDb, "Sin City: A Dame To Kill For" will be shown on Sept. 18, 2014 in Australia and New Zealand.
Watch The Video Below Featuring Frank Miller's "Sin City: A Dame To Kill For" - Comic-Con Red Band Trailer - Dimension Films:
READ MORE ABOUT "SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR":
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Season 11 Premiere (Episode 1) Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘I Must Have Lost It On The Wind'
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet