‘Sin City: A Dame To Kill For' Movie Review: Best And Worst Moments Of The Film [WATCH VIDEO]
By Janice Somosot | August 27, 2014 7:56 PM EST
"Sin City: A Dame To Kill For" which is distributed by Dimension Films was shown in U.S., UK and Canadian theatres on Friday, Aug. 22, 2014. It stars Jessica Alba (Nancy Callahan), Mickey Rourke (Marv), Bruce Willis (John Hartigan), Eva Green (Ava Lord), Rosario Dawson (Gail), Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Johnny), Jeremy Piven (Bob), Josh Brolin (Dwight McCarthy), Ray Liotta (Joey), Christopher Lloyd (Kroenig), Jaime King (Goldie and Wendy), Alexa Vega (Gilda), Jamie Chung (Miho), Juno Temple (Sally), Lady Gaga (Bertha) and Powers Booth (Senator Roarke). Here is a movie review of "Sin City: A Dame To Kill For" including the best and worst moments of the film.
Cast member Eva Green poses at the premiere of "Sin City: A Dame to Kill For" in Hollywood, California August 19, 2014. The movie opens in the U.S. on August 22.
"Sin City: A Dame To Kill For" is written by Frank Miller who also directed it, along with Robert Rodriguez. It's produced by Rodriguez, Mark Manuel, Stephen L'Heureux, Alexander Rodnyansky, Sergei Bespalov and Aaron Kaufman. The film's runtime is 102 minutes or 1 hour and 42 minutes. Its plot is divided into five stories namely "Just Another Saturday Night," "The Long Bad Night (Part I)," "A Dame to Kill For," "The Long Bad Night (Part II)" and "Nancy's Last Dance."
1. Marv took out the frat boys who were causing mayhem and crimes. ("Just Another Saturday Night")
2. Johnny (Joseph Gordon Levitt) continuously won money in the slot machines and poker games, beating Senator Roarke (Powers Booth). ("The Long Bad Night (Part I)"
3. Dwight McCarthy (Josh Brolin) successfully got his revenge on Ava Lord (Eva Green) by killing her as she attempted to woo him again. ("A Dame to Kill For")
4. Lady Gaga appeared as a waitress and how she gave Johnny a dollar which he used to get more money in the slot machines. ("The Long Bad Night (Part II)")
5. Nancy Callahan (Jessica Alba) ended senator Roarke's life with a gunshot, with the help of John Hartigan's (Bruce Willis) ghost. ("Nancy's Last Dance")
1. Marv got shot by the leader of the frat boys. Also, when Marv lost his memory. ("Just Another Saturday Night")
2. Johnny's hand was maimed and his leg was shot. Plus, he was left for dead after being told he was Senator Roarke's illegitimate son. ("The Long Bad Night (Part I)"
3. Dwight got horribly disfigured from a gunshot in the face and almost died trying to help his ex-lover Ava. ("A Dame to Kill For")
4. Johnny saw Senator Roarke with Marcie's (Julia Garner) dead and dismembered body. And, when Roarke killed him after he beat him again in a card game. ("The Long Bad Night (Part II)")
5. Nancy is shown having a hard time getting over Hartigan's suicide and her slow self-destruction after it. ("Nancy's Last Dance")
BOX OFFICE INFO:
Box Office Mojo reported that as of Monday, Aug. 25, 2014, Frank Miller's "Sin City: A Dame to Kill For" has earned $11,565,361 worldwide (Domestic Total: $6,933,267 + Foreign Total: $4,632,094). "Sin City: A Dame to Kill For" earned $6,317,683 in its opening weekend.
The Internet Movie Database (IMDb) rating for "Sin City: A Dame to Kill For" is 7.2/10 from 7,277 users. It garnered a Metascore of 45/100 from various critics including Richard Roeper of Chicago Sun-Times and James Mottram of Total Film.
ROTTEN TOMATOES RATINGS:
According to the Tomatometer, "Sin City: A Dame to Kill For" deserves a 45% score and is considered Rotten by Rotten Tomatoes. It scored a 5.4/10 average rating, with 71 considering it rotten and 57 considering it fresh. It also got a 67% score and a 3.9/5 rating from the audience.
REVIEWS OF CRITICS:
"Unmistakably an exercise in style over substance," Nikki Baughan wrote in The List.
Meanwhile, film critic Nathan Rabin of The Dissolve said that "Sin City: A Dame to Kill For" was just a "brainless hyper-pulp."
"Enjoyable second round," Matt Goodman said in a review posted on the Rotten Tomatoes website.
Super reviewer Bradley Wright also wrote on the Rotten Tomatoes website that "Sin City: A Dame to Kill For" is entertaining.
The "Sin City: A Dame to Kill For" movie review provides insights and a brief overview of the said film, including its best and worst moments, box office records, audience and critics' reviews and ratings from the Internet Movie Database or IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes. According to IMDb, "Sin City: A Dame To Kill For" will be shown on Sept. 18, 2014 in Australia and New Zealand.
Watch The Video Below Featuring Frank Miller's "Sin City: A Dame To Kill For" - Comic-Con Red Band Trailer - Dimension Films:
READ MORE ABOUT "SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR":
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’: Blake And Louise Tell The True Story
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Oct. 20-24 Spoilers: An ‘Unexpected Visitor’ Changes Everything For Sami Plus Updates On Salemites
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Oct. 20-24, 2014, Plus Additional Spoilers For Oct. 27, 2014: Nina Makes Public Rosalie’s Secret
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks