ISIS $3 Million Daily Oil Revenues Fund Operations; Obama to Build International Coalition to Widen Assault
By Reissa Su | August 27, 2014 5:44 PM EST
A Middle East expert has revealed that ISIS is earning $3 million a day from oil revenues. This makes the extremist group more self-sufficient and independent, unlike others that depend on donations, reports said.
U.S. President Barack Obama speaks about the economy during a visit to Austin, Texas July 10, 2014.
Theodore Karasik, director of research and consultancy at the Institute for Near East and Gulf Military Analysis, said ISIS generates millions from oil sales based on reliable sources in the region.
According to the estimates of the International Energy Agency (IEA), seven oil fields are under the control of ISIS. The oil fields can produce an average of 80,000 barrels of oil per day. Reports said they are worth more than $8 million at spot prices.
Karasik said he does not know how much oil ISIS sells, but he guessed that the $3 million sales must have come from oil being sold at a great discount. He also speculated that the oil fields may not be working at their full capacity.
His sources told him that the oil is being sold to other countries illegally, but no names were provided.
The Middle East expert thinks Islamic State militants cannot disrupt international oil markets since they do not have the means to manipulate oil production in areas where the largest oil fields are found. The number of oil barrels from ISIS-controlled fields would not be enough to seriously affect international trade.
Reports have surfaced that international companies operating in Iraq and Baghdad have pulled out employees due to the ongoing conflict. Although they remain active in the south, international oil companies will return to those regions once the Iraqi government can create a coalition government.
Meanwhile, the United States has mobilised its allies in an effort to widen its assault on ISIS. A possible U.S. military action is seen in Syria to expand airstrikes.
U.S. President Barack Obama has declared he will broaden his campaign against the militants in Iraq and Syria. Speaking before the American Legion, Mr Obama said uprooting "cancer" like ISIS will not be quick and easy. He added that the U.S. will build a coalition to fight the "barbaric terrorists."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Image Of An Alien Revealed By US Intelligence Agent Suggests Existence Of Extraterrestrial Life -- Report
- US Police Officers Shoot 12-Year-Old Child ‘By Mistake’
- Woman Charged For Leaving Her Baby in Drain in Australia Needs 'Compassion' Says Social Worker
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- New Zealanders in Australia Consider Moving Back to Home Country For Better Life
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510