British Cleric Accused of Urging James Foley Executioner; Predicted ISIS Will Fight in the West
By Reissa Su | August 27, 2014 5:05 PM EST
The British cleric suspected of urging several ISIS recruits, including James Foley's executioner, has called Islamic State militants as "noble" and boldly predicted the West will soon be ruled by Shariah law. According to reports, Anjem Choudary's extremist group Islam 4 UK was prohibited after a crackdown on terrorism, has praised British men who travel to Syria to join ISIS.
A member loyal to the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) waves an ISIL flag in Raqqa June 29, 2014.
Choudary has vocally expressed his hopes that Shariah Law will "take hold" in the UK. In an interview with Fox News, the cleric said it is a "good thing" if Muslims go anywhere in the world to "defend their brethren." Choudary said they should be allowed to fight and those who fight with ISIS is "noble."
The 47-year-old cleric has denied encouraging an ISIS member known as "Jihad John," suspected of beheading U.S. journalist James Foley, to join the group. He suggested the video released on Aug 19 was "fake."
"Even films like Jurassic Park can be made today," he said. Choudary claimed that even if the video was not staged, the masked and hooded ISIS executioner was more merciful than the U.S. forces. He declared that a swift death at the hands of executioner was better than 10 years of "humiliation" in Guantanamo or Abu Ghraib.
He accused the U.S. of being the champions of execution and said he would rather prefer a quick death.
Reports said British and U.S. investigators are still working to uncover the identity of Foley's executioner who has earned his nickname from a group of British militants whom hostages called "the Beatles." Several reports have also emerged that the man is believed to former British rapper Abdel-Majed Abdel Bary.
British Prime Minister David Cameron has described Choudary as one of the people whose statements should be checked for legality. He thinks the cleric is bordering on tolerating extremism, hatred and violence.
Reports said as many as 1,500 British citizens have travelled to Syria to join ISIS.
Choudary went so far as to say that he hopes the British jihadists will bring the war home. He believes the conflict will reach the West and people are already ready for it.
Meanwhile, supporters of ISIS are hijacking trending topics on Twitter with the message #StevensHeadinObamasHands. TIME reporter and now ISIS hostage Steven Sotloff was seen in Foley's beheading video dressed in an orange jumpsuit.
Arabic-speaking Twitter users have inserted Sotloff's face in a series of "memes" with threatening messages against the U.S. Political experts believes ISIS is using social media to recruit more members to fight with them.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation