Michael Jordan Watches As Roger Federer Easily Wins In First Round Of 2014 US Open [PHOTOS]
By James Patrick Quizon | August 27, 2014 3:27 PM EST
Roger Federer debuted his new shoe, the Nike Zoom vapor 9 Tour AJ3 with Michael Jordan watching in the stands and the Swiss Maestro did not disappoint as he won in straight sets over Australian Marinko Matosevic, 6-3, 6-4, 7-6 (4) in the opening round of the men’s singles competition of 2014 US Open held in Flushing Meadows, New York.
Age: 33 Net Worth: $300 million Roger Federer is a Swiss born professional tennis player born on August 8th, 1981 in Basel, Switzerland to parents Robert and Lynette. The 17-time Grand Slam champion began playing tennis at a very early age.
With or without the Air Jordans, which was designed by Federer with the help of the basketball great, the No. 2 seed was simply dominant over his Australian rival.
Roger Federer finished the first set in just 36 minutes, and then had five aces each in the second and third sets to end the match in just two hours. The Swiss also successfully attacked the net—8-of-10 points when going aggressively at his opponent—and ultra-efficient on first serves, where Federer was 14-of-14 for the evening.
Federer will be challenged by another Australian in the second round as he faces Sam Groth, who advanced after defeating Albert Ramos-Vinolas (Spain), 6-3, 7-6 (5), 6-3.
Federer is considered the best-ever tennis player owing to the 17 Grand Slam titles in his career while Jordan is generally known as the greatest basketball player of all time.
On this New York night, it was greatness witnessing greatness and Federer was appreciative of Jordan's effort to watch his first round match.
"I'm just so happy that he came into the world of tennis a little bit, you know, got to see some tennis, that it was me, sort of being the character in the whole show, you know, was kind of cool with the collaborations of the shoes, which is very special to me I must say. He was one of the smoothest movers out there. So for him to give me that compliment means a lot. Meeting him yesterday for the first time was a big deal for me. It was a special sort of last 24 hour plus," Federer said via the tournament's official website.
View the slideshow for more images of Roger Federer and Michael Jordan during the first round of the 2014 US Open.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- WWE News: CM Punk Merchandise Pulled From Stands, Punk Chasing Royalties For WWE 2K15 Inclusion [VIDEO]
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed