Roger Federer Joins Instagram, First Photo He Shared Was A Selfie With Michael Jordan
By Rachelle Corpuz | August 27, 2014 3:09 PM EST
Roger Federer has finally joined Instagram. The 17-time Grand Slam champion was a little late joining the photo-sharing site and the first Instagram snap that Federer has uploaded was a selfie with National Basketball Association (NBA) legend Michael Jordan.
Former basketball great Michael Jordan waves to Roger Federer of Switzerland after Federer defeated Marinko Matosevic of Australia during their men's singles match at the U.S. Open tennis tournament in New York August 26, 2014. REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton
"It was an honor meeting one of my childhood idols today #MJ, also this is my first @Instagram, how'd I do," Federer captioned the photo. Federer also shared his selfie with MJ to his 2 million Twitter followers.
Jordan was in New York to attend his first-ever tennis match between Federer and Australia's Marinko Matosevic at the 2014 US Open. Federer cruised through the first round match on Day Two of the Open, winning all three sets over the 29-year-old Aussie athlete. The Swiss even pulled a cheeky trick shot between his legs that accidentally hit Matosevic in the bum, which made Jordan grin.
Matosevic had some great moments during the match, but Federer proved too good in the end. The third-ranked tennis athlete has been consistently playing good tennis in the current Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) tour. Interestingly, Federer shares that same birthday with Matosevic. They were both born on Aug. 8
According to USA Today, Federer and Jordan has collaborated on the design of the tennis athlete's new shoe, Nike Zoom Vapor 9 Tour AJ3, which he wore when he began his US Open campaign on Aug. 26. Jordan has said that he has been a big fan of Federer and has heard about the Swiss' dream of wearing a Jordan shoe on the tennis court.
"I definitely thought this could be a really unique and special collaboration and when I heard that Roger wanted the shoe to be modelled after the Air Jordan 3, I was in," Jordan said.
Federer and Jordan have been hanging out and spending some time with each other because of their sneaker collaboration. Both have admitted that they were big fans of each other. Federer was reportedly an NBA fan in the late 1980s.
Below is a video of Federer playing a short piece on piano with Jordan watching by his side.
Video courtesy: YouTube/niketennis
MORE TENNIS NEWS:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop