Roger Federer Joins Instagram, First Photo He Shared Was A Selfie With Michael Jordan
By Rachelle Corpuz | August 27, 2014 3:09 PM EST
Roger Federer has finally joined Instagram. The 17-time Grand Slam champion was a little late joining the photo-sharing site and the first Instagram snap that Federer has uploaded was a selfie with National Basketball Association (NBA) legend Michael Jordan.
Former basketball great Michael Jordan waves to Roger Federer of Switzerland after Federer defeated Marinko Matosevic of Australia during their men's singles match at the U.S. Open tennis tournament in New York August 26, 2014. REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton
"It was an honor meeting one of my childhood idols today #MJ, also this is my first @Instagram, how'd I do," Federer captioned the photo. Federer also shared his selfie with MJ to his 2 million Twitter followers.
Jordan was in New York to attend his first-ever tennis match between Federer and Australia's Marinko Matosevic at the 2014 US Open. Federer cruised through the first round match on Day Two of the Open, winning all three sets over the 29-year-old Aussie athlete. The Swiss even pulled a cheeky trick shot between his legs that accidentally hit Matosevic in the bum, which made Jordan grin.
Matosevic had some great moments during the match, but Federer proved too good in the end. The third-ranked tennis athlete has been consistently playing good tennis in the current Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) tour. Interestingly, Federer shares that same birthday with Matosevic. They were both born on Aug. 8
According to USA Today, Federer and Jordan has collaborated on the design of the tennis athlete's new shoe, Nike Zoom Vapor 9 Tour AJ3, which he wore when he began his US Open campaign on Aug. 26. Jordan has said that he has been a big fan of Federer and has heard about the Swiss' dream of wearing a Jordan shoe on the tennis court.
"I definitely thought this could be a really unique and special collaboration and when I heard that Roger wanted the shoe to be modelled after the Air Jordan 3, I was in," Jordan said.
Federer and Jordan have been hanging out and spending some time with each other because of their sneaker collaboration. Both have admitted that they were big fans of each other. Federer was reportedly an NBA fan in the late 1980s.
Below is a video of Federer playing a short piece on piano with Jordan watching by his side.
Video courtesy: YouTube/niketennis
MORE TENNIS NEWS:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks