Richard Gibson Has Kept All His Nail Clippings In A Jar Since 1978
By Usha Hari | August 27, 2014 2:39 PM EST
Richard Gibson has been treasuring a jar containing every single toenail and fingernail he clipped off himself since February 1978. It is one of his favourite collections on the shelves of the Louisiana home of this oil investor.
Gibson, has made sure that he kept every nail that he had clipped in the manicure box instead of throwing it out.
"I started doing it again and again and then decided to see how long it would take to fill the box," he said proudly.
When the box got full in about two years he started transferring the content to a bigger glass jar that he currently uses. Though he has not counted the exact nails in the jar, he estimates that it could easily be in thousands. Gibson's strange fascination has not gone well with his family including his ex-wife who used to ask him to hide the jar whenever they had visitors. However, all his hard work and the embarrassment at times has been paid off in the form of a picture of Gibson proudly holding the jar that appears in the latest edition of "Ripley's Believe It Or Not!" debuting Sept. 9.
Surprisingly, he has no set schedule for filling up to the contents of the jar as he cuts his mails only when he breaks a fingernail or toenail and never cuts to keep it real short and to fill up the jar. Gibson is already planning to switch over to a bigger container once this gets full and is no mood to discontinue this bizarre hobby.
Nails are the only clippings Gibson collects. Though this 58-year-old man from Lafayette, Louisiana has always been a hardcore fan of "Ripley's Believe It Or Not!" and has submitted 70,000 weird facts for inclusion this is the first time he had made into one of those books.
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’