2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: USA
By Mark Wayne Eubank | August 27, 2014 2:33 PM EST
Undoubtedly the strongest team on paper in spite of losing a couple of superstars - Paul George and Kevin Durant - along the way, Team USA will, as always, still be expected to win it all at the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup.
Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports
The United States bench reacts during the second half of a game against the Dominican Republic at Madison Square Garden.
While the aforementioned are among the biggest names not only in the team but as well as in the NBA, it definitely will not do much damage to Mike Krzyzewski's overall plan and preparation since his philosophy is essentially anchored on ball movement - just like how he does it in Duke.
The long-time Duke mentor will primarily rely on his guards and wingmen to take up the scoring cudgels for the stars-and-stripes, with outside bombing as their primary weapon since only DeMar DeRozan lacks a consistent game from beyond the arc.
They have averaged 25 shots from deep during their first two exhibition games against Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico, which composed about one-third of their total shot attempts.
Be that as it may, they can recognize and take advantage of match-up problems down low, pairing it with strong drives to the rack, when the opposition features a relatively weaker frontline.
This was exemplified during their fixture against Slovenia, wherein they showed discipline by attempting only 14 shots from three-point area, while pounding the paint.
Anthony Davis and Kyrie Irving had notable stats from the free-throw line with 11 and 8 attempts, respectively, while the group made a total of 46 attempts.
They only have themselves as their weakness, in the sense that they should always come out with fire and desire, otherwise, abled opponents in the knockout stages might give them a run for their money or worse, boot them out of the competition.
Stephen Curry, DeMar DeRozan, James Harden, Kyrie Irving, Derrick Rose, Klay Thompson
Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried, Rudy Gay, Mason Plumlee
DeMarcus Cousins, Andre Drummond
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Wants To Talk To Manny Pacquiao About Super Fight If Filipino Beats Chris Algieri
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Manchester United News: Angel Di Maria’s Exit And Hummels’ Future Move
- Video Of Floyd Mayweather Having An Altercation With A Random Woman, Who Had No Idea Who He Is, Goes Viral
- 2014/15 NBA Season Preview And Predictions: Los Angeles Lakers; Jeremy Lin's Breakout Campaign
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Available Through O2 For £380, Other Carriers To Follow Soon
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots