2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: USA
By Mark Wayne Eubank | August 27, 2014 2:33 PM EST
Undoubtedly the strongest team on paper in spite of losing a couple of superstars - Paul George and Kevin Durant - along the way, Team USA will, as always, still be expected to win it all at the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup.
Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports
The United States bench reacts during the second half of a game against the Dominican Republic at Madison Square Garden.
While the aforementioned are among the biggest names not only in the team but as well as in the NBA, it definitely will not do much damage to Mike Krzyzewski's overall plan and preparation since his philosophy is essentially anchored on ball movement - just like how he does it in Duke.
The long-time Duke mentor will primarily rely on his guards and wingmen to take up the scoring cudgels for the stars-and-stripes, with outside bombing as their primary weapon since only DeMar DeRozan lacks a consistent game from beyond the arc.
They have averaged 25 shots from deep during their first two exhibition games against Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico, which composed about one-third of their total shot attempts.
Be that as it may, they can recognize and take advantage of match-up problems down low, pairing it with strong drives to the rack, when the opposition features a relatively weaker frontline.
This was exemplified during their fixture against Slovenia, wherein they showed discipline by attempting only 14 shots from three-point area, while pounding the paint.
Anthony Davis and Kyrie Irving had notable stats from the free-throw line with 11 and 8 attempts, respectively, while the group made a total of 46 attempts.
They only have themselves as their weakness, in the sense that they should always come out with fire and desire, otherwise, abled opponents in the knockout stages might give them a run for their money or worse, boot them out of the competition.
Stephen Curry, DeMar DeRozan, James Harden, Kyrie Irving, Derrick Rose, Klay Thompson
Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried, Rudy Gay, Mason Plumlee
DeMarcus Cousins, Andre Drummond
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Chelsea FC: Thibaut Courtois Thanks Cech For Tips Following Injury Scare, Not Ready To Relinquish No. 1 Spot
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage