2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: USA
By Mark Wayne Eubank | August 27, 2014 2:33 PM EST
Undoubtedly the strongest team on paper in spite of losing a couple of superstars - Paul George and Kevin Durant - along the way, Team USA will, as always, still be expected to win it all at the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup.
Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports
The United States bench reacts during the second half of a game against the Dominican Republic at Madison Square Garden.
While the aforementioned are among the biggest names not only in the team but as well as in the NBA, it definitely will not do much damage to Mike Krzyzewski's overall plan and preparation since his philosophy is essentially anchored on ball movement - just like how he does it in Duke.
The long-time Duke mentor will primarily rely on his guards and wingmen to take up the scoring cudgels for the stars-and-stripes, with outside bombing as their primary weapon since only DeMar DeRozan lacks a consistent game from beyond the arc.
They have averaged 25 shots from deep during their first two exhibition games against Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico, which composed about one-third of their total shot attempts.
Be that as it may, they can recognize and take advantage of match-up problems down low, pairing it with strong drives to the rack, when the opposition features a relatively weaker frontline.
This was exemplified during their fixture against Slovenia, wherein they showed discipline by attempting only 14 shots from three-point area, while pounding the paint.
Anthony Davis and Kyrie Irving had notable stats from the free-throw line with 11 and 8 attempts, respectively, while the group made a total of 46 attempts.
They only have themselves as their weakness, in the sense that they should always come out with fire and desire, otherwise, abled opponents in the knockout stages might give them a run for their money or worse, boot them out of the competition.
Stephen Curry, DeMar DeRozan, James Harden, Kyrie Irving, Derrick Rose, Klay Thompson
Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried, Rudy Gay, Mason Plumlee
DeMarcus Cousins, Andre Drummond
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports