Roger Federer and Michael Jordan Collaborate To Create Sneaker History For the US Open 2014
By Dana Alyssa Ramos | August 27, 2014 2:28 PM EST
World no. 3 Roger Federer, and one of the best basketball players of all time Michael Jordan collaborate to make a sneaker history for the US Open 2014.
Roger Federer of Switzerland serves while wearing a new shoe, the Nike Zoom Vapor 9 Tour AJ3 he helped design with basketball great Michael Jordan, during his men's singles match against Marinko Matosevic of Australia at the U.S. Open tennis tournament in New York August 26, 2014.
The two all-time greats in their respective sports recently met in New York to unveil their Nike-Air fusion sneaker.
Jordan, who was 33 years old when he first retired has six NBA Finals MVP titles and six NBA Championships and Federer, who is currently 33-year-old and is geared towards securing his 18th major tournament title at the 2014 US Open, collaborated on a sneakers with the Air Jordan insignia on the tongue.
Jordan was intrigued when he heard about Federer's interest in wearing Jordan shoes in the tennis court.
"I definitely thought this could be a really unique and special collaboration, and when I heard that Roger wanted the shoe to be modelled after the Air Jordan 3, I was in," Jordan claimed according to a report on Style.
The 33-year-old tennis superstar usually dons his signature shoe, the Nike Zoom Vapor 9 Tour sneakers during matches, but on Tuesday at the 2014 US Open, the Swiss Maestro debuted his new NikeCourt Zoom Vapor AJ3 by Jordan sneakers, while MJ was watching his match against Marinko Matosevic in the first round.
Federer vs. Matosevik was the first professional tennis match Jordan has ever attended in person, For the Win reported.
The Nike Zoom Vapor 9 Tour was designed by the same man responsible for many Jordan's iconic styles, Tinker Hatfield. Among Hatfield's greatest contributions to the sneaker realm is the the Jordan 3, which was originally released in 1988.
According to the NBA legend, the collaboration is not just about style because the end product features the classic Air Jordan 3 elephant print and the best tennis performance technology. He is aslo positive that fans are going to love the shoe.
The Roger Federer and Michael Jordan collaboration shoe, the NikeCourt Zoom Vapor AJ3 by Jordan, will be available Nike stores soon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manchester United News: Man Utd. vs QPR Preview
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Reports Indicate Mayweather Has 2 Girlfriends: Bad Medina & Liza Hernandez
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date