Roger Federer and Michael Jordan Collaborate To Create Sneaker History For the US Open 2014
By Dana Alyssa Ramos | August 27, 2014 2:28 PM EST
World no. 3 Roger Federer, and one of the best basketball players of all time Michael Jordan collaborate to make a sneaker history for the US Open 2014.
Roger Federer of Switzerland serves while wearing a new shoe, the Nike Zoom Vapor 9 Tour AJ3 he helped design with basketball great Michael Jordan, during his men's singles match against Marinko Matosevic of Australia at the U.S. Open tennis tournament in New York August 26, 2014.
The two all-time greats in their respective sports recently met in New York to unveil their Nike-Air fusion sneaker.
Jordan, who was 33 years old when he first retired has six NBA Finals MVP titles and six NBA Championships and Federer, who is currently 33-year-old and is geared towards securing his 18th major tournament title at the 2014 US Open, collaborated on a sneakers with the Air Jordan insignia on the tongue.
Jordan was intrigued when he heard about Federer's interest in wearing Jordan shoes in the tennis court.
"I definitely thought this could be a really unique and special collaboration, and when I heard that Roger wanted the shoe to be modelled after the Air Jordan 3, I was in," Jordan claimed according to a report on Style.
The 33-year-old tennis superstar usually dons his signature shoe, the Nike Zoom Vapor 9 Tour sneakers during matches, but on Tuesday at the 2014 US Open, the Swiss Maestro debuted his new NikeCourt Zoom Vapor AJ3 by Jordan sneakers, while MJ was watching his match against Marinko Matosevic in the first round.
Federer vs. Matosevik was the first professional tennis match Jordan has ever attended in person, For the Win reported.
The Nike Zoom Vapor 9 Tour was designed by the same man responsible for many Jordan's iconic styles, Tinker Hatfield. Among Hatfield's greatest contributions to the sneaker realm is the the Jordan 3, which was originally released in 1988.
According to the NBA legend, the collaboration is not just about style because the end product features the classic Air Jordan 3 elephant print and the best tennis performance technology. He is aslo positive that fans are going to love the shoe.
The Roger Federer and Michael Jordan collaboration shoe, the NikeCourt Zoom Vapor AJ3 by Jordan, will be available Nike stores soon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports