Roger Federer and Michael Jordan Collaborate To Create Sneaker History For the US Open 2014
By Dana Alyssa Ramos | August 27, 2014 2:28 PM EST
World no. 3 Roger Federer, and one of the best basketball players of all time Michael Jordan collaborate to make a sneaker history for the US Open 2014.
Roger Federer of Switzerland serves while wearing a new shoe, the Nike Zoom Vapor 9 Tour AJ3 he helped design with basketball great Michael Jordan, during his men's singles match against Marinko Matosevic of Australia at the U.S. Open tennis tournament in New York August 26, 2014.
The two all-time greats in their respective sports recently met in New York to unveil their Nike-Air fusion sneaker.
Jordan, who was 33 years old when he first retired has six NBA Finals MVP titles and six NBA Championships and Federer, who is currently 33-year-old and is geared towards securing his 18th major tournament title at the 2014 US Open, collaborated on a sneakers with the Air Jordan insignia on the tongue.
Jordan was intrigued when he heard about Federer's interest in wearing Jordan shoes in the tennis court.
"I definitely thought this could be a really unique and special collaboration, and when I heard that Roger wanted the shoe to be modelled after the Air Jordan 3, I was in," Jordan claimed according to a report on Style.
The 33-year-old tennis superstar usually dons his signature shoe, the Nike Zoom Vapor 9 Tour sneakers during matches, but on Tuesday at the 2014 US Open, the Swiss Maestro debuted his new NikeCourt Zoom Vapor AJ3 by Jordan sneakers, while MJ was watching his match against Marinko Matosevic in the first round.
Federer vs. Matosevik was the first professional tennis match Jordan has ever attended in person, For the Win reported.
The Nike Zoom Vapor 9 Tour was designed by the same man responsible for many Jordan's iconic styles, Tinker Hatfield. Among Hatfield's greatest contributions to the sneaker realm is the the Jordan 3, which was originally released in 1988.
According to the NBA legend, the collaboration is not just about style because the end product features the classic Air Jordan 3 elephant print and the best tennis performance technology. He is aslo positive that fans are going to love the shoe.
The Roger Federer and Michael Jordan collaboration shoe, the NikeCourt Zoom Vapor AJ3 by Jordan, will be available Nike stores soon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Chelsea FC: Thibaut Courtois Thanks Cech For Tips Following Injury Scare, Not Ready To Relinquish No. 1 Spot
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia