Roger Federer and Michael Jordan Collaborate To Create Sneaker History For the US Open 2014
By Dana Alyssa Ramos | August 27, 2014 2:28 PM EST
World no. 3 Roger Federer, and one of the best basketball players of all time Michael Jordan collaborate to make a sneaker history for the US Open 2014.
Roger Federer of Switzerland serves while wearing a new shoe, the Nike Zoom Vapor 9 Tour AJ3 he helped design with basketball great Michael Jordan, during his men's singles match against Marinko Matosevic of Australia at the U.S. Open tennis tournament in New York August 26, 2014.
The two all-time greats in their respective sports recently met in New York to unveil their Nike-Air fusion sneaker.
Jordan, who was 33 years old when he first retired has six NBA Finals MVP titles and six NBA Championships and Federer, who is currently 33-year-old and is geared towards securing his 18th major tournament title at the 2014 US Open, collaborated on a sneakers with the Air Jordan insignia on the tongue.
Jordan was intrigued when he heard about Federer's interest in wearing Jordan shoes in the tennis court.
"I definitely thought this could be a really unique and special collaboration, and when I heard that Roger wanted the shoe to be modelled after the Air Jordan 3, I was in," Jordan claimed according to a report on Style.
The 33-year-old tennis superstar usually dons his signature shoe, the Nike Zoom Vapor 9 Tour sneakers during matches, but on Tuesday at the 2014 US Open, the Swiss Maestro debuted his new NikeCourt Zoom Vapor AJ3 by Jordan sneakers, while MJ was watching his match against Marinko Matosevic in the first round.
Federer vs. Matosevik was the first professional tennis match Jordan has ever attended in person, For the Win reported.
The Nike Zoom Vapor 9 Tour was designed by the same man responsible for many Jordan's iconic styles, Tinker Hatfield. Among Hatfield's greatest contributions to the sneaker realm is the the Jordan 3, which was originally released in 1988.
According to the NBA legend, the collaboration is not just about style because the end product features the classic Air Jordan 3 elephant print and the best tennis performance technology. He is aslo positive that fans are going to love the shoe.
The Roger Federer and Michael Jordan collaboration shoe, the NikeCourt Zoom Vapor AJ3 by Jordan, will be available Nike stores soon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments