Sydney Café Owner Who Refused to Hire a Black Man Closes Doors
By Anne Lu | August 27, 2014 1:11 PM EST
The Darlinghurst café that refused to hire a black man has shut its doors.
Forbes and Burton café owner Steven Hu made headlines after Brazilian-born Australian Nilson Dos Santos was refused a job because of his skin colour.
Dos Santos told the Daily Mail Australia that Hu only took one look at him during his job interview before making up his mind not to hire him. Apparently, Hu’s customers are primarily white people who wouldn’t want their “coffee made by black people.”
Hu admitted that he told Dos Santos he couldn’t hire him because he is black, telling the paper, “We need to offer good service at this café and I think the coffee culture is more about white people.”
The coffee shop has since been plagued with outraged people who bombard its Facebook page with criticisms and pelted the establishment with eggs. Many customers have also boycotted it.
“The man who was looking for employment was an Australian regardless of his colour and you yourself are an immigrant yet you discriminate against those who have shared their country with you,” a Facebook user wrote. “To state that Australians don’t want their coffee from a black man not only insults him but Australian’s [sic] attitude too when we are striving for racial equality and have reached out to Asians such as yourself and other ethnicities.”
“We done Mr Hu you just screwed up an excellent investment to satisfy your racism. Being Asian myself I am embarrassed and ashamed as people like Mr Hu make the rest of us look bad,” another one wrote.
The shop has apparently closed down on Tuesday with no explanation. It’s unclear if it’s a temporary or permanent shut down.
Dos Santos, meanwhile, has been inundated with job offers from more than 20 employers, according to the Daily Mail Australia.
The Fair Work Ombudsman continues to investigate the matter.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Sickness: Prince Harry Cancels His 30th Birthday Party, Opts For Simple Gathering
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- Rare Blue Flawless Diamond, Costing $25.6 Million, Is The Newest Attraction At The Natural History Museum
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- Afghan Pizza Man Shot Dead in Canada
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date