Man To Have Surgery To Remove 100-Pound Scrotum
By Afza Fathima | August 27, 2014 12:59 PM EST
Sgt. Matt Krumwiede of the U.S. Army has a wound tended to by his mother Pam Krumwiede, after a day of hunting at a ranch outside San Antonio, Texas, in this November 3, 2013 file photo. Krumwiede was on patrol in Afghanistan in 2012 when he stepped on an improvised explosive device which tore away both his legs, damaged his left arm, and ripped open his abdominal cavity. Since then he has undergone dozens of surgeries and spent time recovering at Brooke Medical Center in San Antonio, Texas, learning to walk again with the use of prosthetic legs. In June 2014, he visited to his hometown of Pocatello, Idaho for the first time since he was injured.
The 39-year-old has had the inflamed scrotum from his late twenties, which his doctors blamed on his obesity. Despite shedding more than 20 kilograms, the scrotum continued to grow.
Dan told New York Daily News that he knew it wasn't obesity but that something else was going in. He found that he had scrotal lymphedema after watching a documentary on TLC about Wesley Warren Jr. called "The Man With the 132-Pound Scrotum." Wesley had scrotal lymphedema, which was surgically removed by urologist Dr. Joel Gelman from the University of California. However, Wesley died a year later due to complications; he was suffering from diabetes.
Dan was broke and hence, couldn't afford to go see Dr. Gelman in California for the surgery. He said that he kept thinking the surgery was never going to happen.
When he went to his mother's church, a female parishioner told Dan that she had heard God tell her that it was her task to help Dan out. The parishioner, along with Dan and his mother, went on to raise funds by contacting media outlets and holding fundraisers like a spaghetti dinner, which had an audiende of 200 people. They also encouraged people through social media to help via the GoFundMe website.
They were successful in raising more than $27,000 for which more than 1,000 people contributed. Maurer was touched by the number of people supporting him.
Dan thanked all his donors -- because of their generosity, he will be flying to California to have the surgery. He said that because of the surgery, he might lose his life or his penis, but men suffering from the condition would want to consult the best doctor.
He posted on Facebook the following message: "I went to the Doctor on Friday and not only did I lose 23 pounds in 5 weeks but I am super healthy based on my pre surgery test I should be able to handle the surgery great and heal very fast. we fly out in about a week wish me luck."
He has been unable to have sex with his wife, Mindy, in the last seven years and the first thing that he hopes to do after surgery is just that.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Sugar Is The Major Cause Of Obesity: Top 5 Ways To Reduce Your Sugar Intake
- Ebola Survivors' Blood Sold in Black Market, WHO Warns Buyers of Risks Including Death
- Jennifer Lopez's Diet and Fitness Secrets Revealed: Ways by Which She Keeps Her Lower Body Toned
- Hip Hop Mogul Russell Simmons Says In New Book That Meditation and Yoga Can Make You Rich
- Kids Whose Parents Went To College Eat Healthier, Study Finds
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown