Chicago Marathon Brings Over $253 Million in Business
By Vittorio Hernandez | August 27, 2014 9:57 AM EST
An independent study found that the Bank of America Chicago Marathon by the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign's Regional Economics Applications Laboratory continues to be a key economic driver and contributes an estimated $253.49 million in total business activity to the Chicago economy.
A runner kisses the finish line after completing the 118th Boston Marathon in Boston, Massachusetts April 21, 2014.
This is the first time that the economic impact of the Marathon has exceeded $250 million. By comparison, the impact of the 2012 Bank of America Chicago Marathon was $243.46 million.
The new report found the event directly contributed an estimated $101.8 million, distributed among the main sectors of the tourism industry, in addition to another $151.7 million in indirect activity. This is an equivalent of 1,742 full-time jobs and $85.94 million worth of wages and salary income. Further, each dollar spent by a race participant generated an additional $1.29 worth of activity distributed throughout Chicago. Study authors applied the use of the Chicago Region Econometric Input-Output Model to assemble the findings.
"The Bank of America Chicago Marathon is a demand generator that helps foster increased visitation from around the globe," said Don Welsh, president and CEO of Choose Chicago. "In 2013, one-fourth of visitors who traveled to Chicago for the Marathon say it was their first trip ever to Chicago, and 56 percent of participants say their motivation was to run through one of the most beautiful cities in the world. The race strongly supports the efforts to elevate the city of Chicago as a global visitor destination, and we are proud to continue our support."
"Exceeding $250 million for the first time underscores not only the significance of the economic and tourist activity the race brings to the city, but also supports the fact that the Marathon has a personal connection to everyone involved, whether a runner, spectator, business owner, or charity," said Tim Maloney, president, Bank of America Illinois. "We're committed to ensuring everyone associated with the Marathon, including Chicago's businesses and residents, has an enjoyable experience, so we can continue to make a positive impact on the city for many years to come."
Dr Joseph Louro, chief executive officer of Red Bank, New Jersey-based investment education company InvestView (OTCQB: INVU), said understanding the correlation between the Chicago Marathon and its business opportunities will allow investors to take advantage of its potential.
Louro said in the company Web site, "It is our opinion that now, more than ever before, it is critical that the individual investor come to understand the forces that influence the marketplace. We specialize in assisting common investors through this process by offering them the tools, training and confidence that is required to successfully navigate the market in these trying times."
The Bank of America Chicago Marathon drew 40,900 race participants in 2013, with 17 per cent from international locations. Each year, the Marathon attracts new visitors to Chicago and contributes to improving the image of the city as a leading tourist destination, even during a low tourism period helping to reduce the negative effect of seasonality in Chicago tourism.
InvestView, Inc. provides and delivers a comprehensive online program of investor education: proprietary investor search tools and trading indicators, weekly newsletters as well as access to live weekly Trading Rooms. It delivers subscription-based financial education courses through InvestView's website. InvestView also allows new retail investors to use the portal's subscribed information on a 2-week trial period for $9.95.
The company does it through its online education, analysis and application platform that provides analysis, tools, education solutions and an application. InvestView's web-based tools were designed to simplify stock research and improve the investor's research efficiency. One such tool is the Market Point, which is made up of five sections, namely: Charts, Stock Watch, Market, Calendar and Campus.
InvestView offers five training courses that provide an incredible education in the stock market. The five InvestView courses build upon each other. Beginners should take them in the suggested sequence, while more seasoned traders may jump right into the more advanced topics that they are craving to better understand and give them the edge as a successful trader. Each course is offered via live webinar and as a recorded on-demand videos that is immediately posted at the end of each webinar. For more information, please visit their web site.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Update: Death Toll Reaches 2,461; US$1B Is Needed To Fight It, Says UN
- BC Teachers’ Strike Reaches Tentative Deal With Government, Date of Class Resumptions Still Not Sure
- West Africa Ebola Epidemic To Last 12-18 Months More
- Security for Pope Francis' Albania Trip At Status Quo, Won’t Be Reinforced Despite ISIS Threat – Vatican
- Air France Pilots’ Strike: Only 40% of Scheduled Wednesday Flights Will Operate
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet