Sleep Drunkenness Disorder Affects One in Seven People
By Sarah Thomas | August 27, 2014 9:33 AM EST
A new sleep disorder called "sleep drunkenness" is characterised by perplexity, violent behaviour due to a sudden sleep disturbance either after waking up or in one's sleep. People with the disorder often experience confusion either while falling off to sleep or while they wake up and they may even forget their own inappropriate behaviour once they completely wake up, the research stated.
A spectator wearing headphones sleeps on Court Two at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 23, 2014. REUTERS/Toby Melville (BRITAIN - Tags: SPORT TENNIS)
The medical journal, Neurology® contained the research that was published in its print issue on August 26. It is a journal of the American Academy of Neurology.
Maurice M. Ohayon, MD, DSc, PhD, with Stanford University School of Medicine in Palo Alto, California and study author said that most often of these incidents of waking up confused are not given much attention. Sleepwalking is considered a more serious problem, but she said that both these conditions could be "just as serious".
As a part of the research an interview was conducted with the U.S. individual, they were all above 18 years of age. The 19,136 individual were questioned on their sleep habits and were asked if they came across or experienced any symptom of sleep drunkenness in their day to day lives. They were also told to specify if they had any mental illness and were under any medication.
Their responses revealed that nearly half of the people experienced one episode of sleep drunkenness on a weekly basis and 15 per cent were reported that are experiencing the symptoms last year. The concerning factor was that, 84 per cent of the sleep drunkenness cases also had a mental disorder or and nearly 31 per cent of them were on antidepressants. Only one per cent of those with the disorder were free of other mental disorders. It was seen that those with mental disorders such as depression, bipolar disorder, alcoholism, panic or post-traumatic stress disorder and anxiety had a higher probability to experience sleep drunkenness.
The disorder could be experienced even while taking a short nap and was not limited only to long hours of sleep. The common notion is that less sleep affects mental abilities, which is true but in this case even those who had nine hours of sleep experienced sleep drunkenness. People with sleep apnea also were more likely to have the disorder.
Ohayon stated that though the disorder was not taken seriously in the past, the growing body of people experiencing these symptoms make it all the more necessary to conduct a research into the treatment of sleep drunkenness. "People with sleep disorders or mental health issues should also be aware that they may be at greater risk of these episodes", Ohayon said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Back To Herself After Struggling With Hyperemesis Gravidarum
- Ebola Vaccine: Johnson & Johnson Confident Of Human Trials In January And Market Delivery in May Next Year
- 12 Terrifyingly Healthy Halloween Treats
- New York Doctor Tests Positive For Ebola
- ‘Death Sentence’ For 50,000 Australians With The Refusal Of Costly Hep C Treatment
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories