Robin Williams Emmy Award Tribute By Billy Crystal, Actor Calls Him 'Greatest Friend' [SEE VIDEO]
By nidhi tewari | August 27, 2014 8:46 AM EST
The day Robin Williams allegedly committed suicide on Aug 11, his good friend and co-star Billy Crystal wrote briefly on Twitter that he has "no words" to describe his feelings. But when Crystal paid tribute to the "Mrs Doubtfire" actor at the 66th primetime Emmy Awards on Monday, his words flowed appropriately. Not only did the actor give a beautiful and a heartfelt tribute to Williams but he also called him "greatest friend you could imagine" and a "beautiful light" that will "shine on us forever."
Actor Robin Williams arrives for the European premiere of "Happy Feet " at the Empire cinema in London in this file picture taken November 26, 2006. Oscar-winning actor and comedian Williams was found dead on Monday from an apparent suicide at his home in Northern California, Marin County Sheriff's Office said. He was 63.
The emotional tribute to Robin began by a very appropriate song "Smile" by singer Sara Bareilles during the In Memoriam section of the show. Then entered Billy Crystal who stood in front of a huge picture of the legendary actor Robin Williams, whose death has shocked the world.
"He made us laugh hard, every time you saw him. His brilliance was astounding... I used to think if I could just put a saddle on him and stay on for eight seconds I would be OK," said the actor as he began his tribute.
"As genius as he was on stage, he was the greatest friend you could imagine. It's very hard to talk about him in the past, he was so present in all our lives ... for 40 years, he was the brightest star in the comedy galaxy...but while some of the brightest of celestial bodies are actually extinct, their molten energy long since cooled, miraculously, because they float in the heavens so far away from us now," he further revealed about Williams.
Crystal concluded his heart warming and emotional speech by acknowledging the fact that though Robin is no longer alive, he will continue to be in the lives of his loved ones. He compared the late actor with a "beautiful light will continue to shine on us forever, the glow will be so bright it will warm your heart."
Crystal also added that it was very hard for him to talk about his good friend in past tense because he has been present in the lives of all his loved one always. The organisers at Emmy Awards then played a wonderful video of Robin Williams in his comic appearance. See the video below for a more memorable experience.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Update: Louise And Blake To Make Their First Appearance As A Couple In Australia
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2