Juan Manuel Marquez Up Next For Manny Pacquiao After Chris Algieri Showdown – Brian Campbell
By Lou Imperial | August 26, 2014 9:38 PM EST
The much awaited fifth battle between eight-time division world champion Manny Pacquiao and Mexican Juan Manuel Marquez is still likely to take place next year, according to boxing expert Brian Campbell of ESPN.
Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao (L) and Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez pose during a news conference at the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada November 9, 2011. REUTERS/RICHARD BRIAN
Pacquiao, who is now promoting his upcoming showdown with undefeated American fighter Chris Algieri on November 22 at Venetian Macao in Macau, China, could still face his arch-nemesis next year, if the Floyd Mayweather Jr. fight remains unavailable.
Campbell believed the Pacquiao vs. Marquez showdown will still happen sometime next year, and the only reason why the fight was delayed is because of a hefty site paycheck Top-Rank promoter Bob Arum is going to receive by staging a Pacman fight in Macau.
Moreover, Algieri will only receive $1.5 million in guaranteed prize money - which is only a portion of the $20 million Marquez is demanding to fight Pacquiao for a fifth and probably final time.
"I still think we will see it. We only didn't see it this time around because it was obvious that Arum had an opportunity to take home a huge site fee from the casino in Macau to bring Manny over there again (while only having to pay Algieri $1.5M or so, which is peanuts compared to what JMM would have needed)," Campbell stated on ESPN chat session.
Another reason for picking Algieri instead of more dangerous opponent like Marquez is the fact that Pacquiao has been pre-occupied with other dealings outside boxing.
Aside from being a congressman of the lone district of Saranggani, Pacquiao is also focusing on his new career as a professional basketball player, and at the same time, head coach for Kia Motors - an expansion team in the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA). Last weekend, Pacquiao was drafted no.11 overall in the draft, making him the oldest and shortest player ever drafted in the league's history.
With his hectic schedule towards the end of the year, it would be too risky for Pacquiao to take on Marquez, who proves to stay sharp when he demolished Mike Alvarado in their welterweight clash last May.
Barring an Algieri's shocker in November, a fifth Pacquiao vs. Marquez war will still be a huge draw and one that could even surpass the records set by their previous four fights.
For more Manny Pacquiao and Boxing news, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers