Know More About Jesse Helt, The Homeless Man Who Went On MTV VMA Date With Miley Cyrus
By nidhi tewari | August 26, 2014 7:47 PM EST
Jesse Helt, Miley Cyrus's date at the MTV Video Music Awards on Sunday night, had a sudden stroke of luck in his life when the "Wrecking Ball" songstress asked him to go on stage. The 22-year-old wanna be model from Salem, Oregon made a nervous yet impressive speech about the homeless youth and helped create awareness about their plight. Jesse went on stage to accept Miley's Video of the Year award that she won for "Wrecking Ball."
U.S. singer Miley Cyrus performs at the O2 Arena in central London May 6, 2014. REUTERS/Olivia Harris
Jesse's mother Linda has been approached by various news agencies for interviews after her son's rise to sudden, overnight fame because of Miley. Linda told Daily Mail that Jesse is the youngest of the three siblings and attended Chapman Hill Elementary, Myers Elementary and West Salem High School. The blue-eyed, blonde haired man received his GED through Chemeketa Community College, she said.
His mother believes that Jesse got all the attention because he was present at the "right place at right time." Miley first saw him when she visited My Friends Place, a shelter home for homeless youth in Los Angeles, where he is presently living. However, there have been times when Jesse has even lived "in a bush" and has seen extreme poverty.
The 62-year-old mother told the website that her son has chosen to tread on this path of homelessness by choice when he moved to Los Angeles, a few years ago, in search of a modeling career. His mother says she still has her house open for Jesse to come and stay but his son wants to stay in Los Angeles and make a successful career in the city.
"Jesse's had ups and downs like anybody else... he didn't wanna give up and run on home to mommy, but only he knows the reasons, that's for him to say," Linda said to the website.
"It was his choice, he was always welcome, he could always come back any time. If he needed help, I'd help him, we help one another," she added
Meanwhile, Jesse has been under Miley's guidance for over a week now and she has reportedly taken charge of his career, the website revealed. It is not clear in what way will Miley help Jesse but the singer has reportedly given some money to Jesse to fly to his hometown and meet his family. Read more about Jesse's MTV VMA speech here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best