Know More About Jesse Helt, The Homeless Man Who Went On MTV VMA Date With Miley Cyrus
By nidhi tewari | August 26, 2014 7:47 PM EST
Jesse Helt, Miley Cyrus's date at the MTV Video Music Awards on Sunday night, had a sudden stroke of luck in his life when the "Wrecking Ball" songstress asked him to go on stage. The 22-year-old wanna be model from Salem, Oregon made a nervous yet impressive speech about the homeless youth and helped create awareness about their plight. Jesse went on stage to accept Miley's Video of the Year award that she won for "Wrecking Ball."
U.S. singer Miley Cyrus performs at the O2 Arena in central London May 6, 2014. REUTERS/Olivia Harris
Jesse's mother Linda has been approached by various news agencies for interviews after her son's rise to sudden, overnight fame because of Miley. Linda told Daily Mail that Jesse is the youngest of the three siblings and attended Chapman Hill Elementary, Myers Elementary and West Salem High School. The blue-eyed, blonde haired man received his GED through Chemeketa Community College, she said.
His mother believes that Jesse got all the attention because he was present at the "right place at right time." Miley first saw him when she visited My Friends Place, a shelter home for homeless youth in Los Angeles, where he is presently living. However, there have been times when Jesse has even lived "in a bush" and has seen extreme poverty.
The 62-year-old mother told the website that her son has chosen to tread on this path of homelessness by choice when he moved to Los Angeles, a few years ago, in search of a modeling career. His mother says she still has her house open for Jesse to come and stay but his son wants to stay in Los Angeles and make a successful career in the city.
"Jesse's had ups and downs like anybody else... he didn't wanna give up and run on home to mommy, but only he knows the reasons, that's for him to say," Linda said to the website.
"It was his choice, he was always welcome, he could always come back any time. If he needed help, I'd help him, we help one another," she added
Meanwhile, Jesse has been under Miley's guidance for over a week now and she has reportedly taken charge of his career, the website revealed. It is not clear in what way will Miley help Jesse but the singer has reportedly given some money to Jesse to fly to his hometown and meet his family. Read more about Jesse's MTV VMA speech here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- Kristen Stewart ‘Not In Love’ With ‘Equals’ Co-star Nicholas Hoult -- Reports
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar