Know More About Jesse Helt, The Homeless Man Who Went On MTV VMA Date With Miley Cyrus
By nidhi tewari | August 26, 2014 7:47 PM EST
Jesse Helt, Miley Cyrus's date at the MTV Video Music Awards on Sunday night, had a sudden stroke of luck in his life when the "Wrecking Ball" songstress asked him to go on stage. The 22-year-old wanna be model from Salem, Oregon made a nervous yet impressive speech about the homeless youth and helped create awareness about their plight. Jesse went on stage to accept Miley's Video of the Year award that she won for "Wrecking Ball."
U.S. singer Miley Cyrus performs at the O2 Arena in central London May 6, 2014. REUTERS/Olivia Harris
Jesse's mother Linda has been approached by various news agencies for interviews after her son's rise to sudden, overnight fame because of Miley. Linda told Daily Mail that Jesse is the youngest of the three siblings and attended Chapman Hill Elementary, Myers Elementary and West Salem High School. The blue-eyed, blonde haired man received his GED through Chemeketa Community College, she said.
His mother believes that Jesse got all the attention because he was present at the "right place at right time." Miley first saw him when she visited My Friends Place, a shelter home for homeless youth in Los Angeles, where he is presently living. However, there have been times when Jesse has even lived "in a bush" and has seen extreme poverty.
The 62-year-old mother told the website that her son has chosen to tread on this path of homelessness by choice when he moved to Los Angeles, a few years ago, in search of a modeling career. His mother says she still has her house open for Jesse to come and stay but his son wants to stay in Los Angeles and make a successful career in the city.
"Jesse's had ups and downs like anybody else... he didn't wanna give up and run on home to mommy, but only he knows the reasons, that's for him to say," Linda said to the website.
"It was his choice, he was always welcome, he could always come back any time. If he needed help, I'd help him, we help one another," she added
Meanwhile, Jesse has been under Miley's guidance for over a week now and she has reportedly taken charge of his career, the website revealed. It is not clear in what way will Miley help Jesse but the singer has reportedly given some money to Jesse to fly to his hometown and meet his family. Read more about Jesse's MTV VMA speech here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles