AC/DC to Rock Forever Despite Malcolm Young’s Illness, Drummer Phil Rudd Says
By Anne Lu | August 26, 2014 5:56 PM EST
AC/DC will never retire, drummer Phil Rudd insisted. Founding member Malcolm Young is in hiatus because of an undisclosed illness, but Rudd is certain that the legendary Aussie rock band will stay on forever.
“We were never going to retire. It’ll never happen. Angus [Young, co-founder and guitarist] will never retire as long as Angus never retires I won’t f------ retire either,” he was quoted by the AAP as saying.
He added that the band will be touring for their 40th anniversary, but “I don’t know all the details yet.”
In a separate interview with Nine Network, Rudd said that there is a new album on the way and a tour after that.
“There will be another tour and I will be on that,” he said. “We will probably all have to be dead before it stops.”
Rudd joined the hard rock band in 1975, two years after its formation. He left in 1983 following vocalist Bon Scott’s death in 1980, but came back in 1993.
Apart from Rudd and the Young brothers, AC/DC also has Cliff Williams, Brian Johnson and, filling in for his uncle Malcolm, Stevie Young.
In April, the band issued a statement regarding Young’s illness and the band’s reported retirement.
“After forty years of life dedicated to AC/DC, guitarist and founding member Malcolm Young is taking a break from the band due to ill health. Malcolm would like to thank the group’s diehard legions of fans worldwide for their never-ending love and support,” the statement read.
“In light of this news, AC/DC asks that Malcolm and his family’s privacy be respected during this time. The band will continue to make music.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’