2014 Primetime Emmy Awards Snubs: HBO’s ‘Game of Thrones’ Went Home Empty Handed, Twitter Reactions
By Riza Ornos | August 26, 2014 5:11 PM EST
Leading the nominees for the 2014 Primetime Emmy Awards with 36 nominations, HBO's epic fantasy series "Game of Thrones" is the biggest loser of the annual event. Following its lead is Netflix who got zero awards out of its 11 nominations with AMC's "Breaking Bad" taking home five awards including Outstanding Drama Series.
Aaron Paul leaves the stage after accepting the award for Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Drama Series for "Breaking Bad" onstage during the 66th Primetime Emmy Awards in Los Angeles, California August 25, 2014.
With stiff and tough competition between TV's drama shows, "Game of Thrones" is head to head with "Breaking Bad" in all five major categories. Knowing the meth-making show's reputation, dragons and white walking could not compete with the highly-acclaimed show even with its elaborate visual effects and gorgeous locations.
After four season and countless Emmy nominations, "Game of Thrones" has only won in a single major category and that is Peter Dinklage who won for his as Tyrion Lannister for Best Supporting Actor in 2011. Dinklage's powerful performance in the show's fourth season is certainly one of his best but was bested by last year's winner Aaron Paul for his role as Jesse Pinkman in "Breaking Bad."
"What frustrates me about the show is people really love and connect with the characters - but somehow, [the voters] don't put two and two together that there are great actors embodying those roles," HBO's programming president Michael Lombardo told Entertainment Weekly. "We're so pleased with the show, and I would hate to sound the least bit sour grapes, because the response from fans is so spectacular. But [greater awards recognition] would be nice."
British actress Emilia Clarks who plays Daenerys Targaryen was nominated for last year's Best Supporting Actress but lost it to Anna Gunn who plays Skylar White in "Breaking Bad." The same thing happened this year for Lena Heady (Cersei Lannister) who lost the award to Gunn who the same award for two years in a row.
Other Emmy snubs include "Mad Men's" Jon Hamm who is dubbed as Leonardo DiCaprio of television for not winning an award after countless of nominations. Hamm was nominated 12 times for his role as Don Draper and lost 12 times, and this year he lost it again to Bryan Cranston.
Here are some of the Twitter reactions.
If game of thrones lost this Emmy, why is little finger accepting the award? — Bryan M (@BryanDisagrees) August 26, 2014
Did they really just pick something over Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, AND House of Cards? Done with the Emmy's
— Liam Norton (@LiamNorton14) August 26, 2014
Seems like Game of Thrones has a pretty good chance at this Grisliest Deaths Emmy coming up. — Bart Hubbuch (@HubbuchNYP) August 26, 2014
Peter Dinklage deserves an Emmy off the strength of that Game of Thrones trial scene alone.
— Charles Akpan (@TheMusicMogul) August 26, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7'—5 Villains To Feature In The Movie, According To Reported Leaks [Spoilers]
- Rihanna Nude Photos Leaked – The Fappening 2: Second Wave Of Celebrities Nude Pictures Leak on 4chan And Reddit
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic's Kate Beckett, NYPD To Discover The Real Rick Castle
- 'Under The Dome' Season 2 Finale Spoilers: An Exit Route Appears But Not Everyone Gets Out Alive, 'Under The Dome' Season 3 Update [VIDEO]
- Bruce Jenner Sex Change Reports Resurface As He Shaves His Leg, Behaves Feminine Inside A Coffee Shop
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6: Performance, Sales, iOS 8 and Android 5.0 L