Manchester City Impressive In Win Over Rival Liverpool
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | August 26, 2014 4:01 PM EST
If you have a pool of talented strikers at your disposal, you will be the envy of many.
BBC reports that Manchester City gave a taste of things to come to the English Premier League after scoring a convincing 3-1 win over Liverpool at the Etihad. The host club went ahead with two goals from Stevan Jovetic, while Sergio Aguero put the game beyond doubt by adding the final goal just 23 seconds after being substituted in the second half. Brendan Rodger's side almost came up scoreless, thanks to a late goal from Rickie Lambert.
Manchester City's Sergio Aguero (C) celebrates with team mates after scoring a goal against Liverpool during their English Premier League soccer match at the Etihad stadium in Manchester, northern England August 25, 2014.
It was a whole 73 minutes of impressive soccer as Manuel Pellegrini's club showed how deep its arsenal can be with its array of strikers. What was most telling from Pellegrini's squad is the number of weapons it can choose to unleash. In the second half, Aguero was fielded in. Upon his entry, he controlled the ball from Jesus Navas, while his second run placed it through the net past Simon Mignolet with ease just 23 seconds after getting into the game.
With the win over their rivals, Manchester City joined leaders Chelsea, Tottenham Hotspur and Swansea City with back-to-back wins to start the young season. Early in the game, it appeared that Liverpool could actually go toe-to-toe with their rivals, controlling much of the ball in the early goings. But later on, they showed that they missed the exquisite striking from the likes of Luis Suarez.
Liverpool passed beautifully in the first half but just could not convert or threaten when nearing the goal. They were actually looking better than their rivals up until Jovetic delivered the goal five minutes before the halftime break. It bared their defense at the back, exposing the new left-backs Alberto Moreno and Dejan Lovren, who were also victims of Aguero's goal.
"We have to be tighter than that, get up to people," Rodgers said. "They were poor goals."
Manuel Pellegrini's squad has shown that they mean business this season, but the veteran mentor admitted later on that the defending champions had problems with chemistry early on and the season is young. Yaya Toure displayed some rust and was not aggressive, mirroring his performance at Newcastle during opening weekend. Edin Dzeko was not able to deliver a goal and was kicked on the thigh, which allowed the substitution for Aguero. Also, Liverpool must be mystified by the fact that they controlled the ball much of the game, only to be down 3-0 to the home team.
Nevertheless, the night belonged to Jovetic, who was almost decimated by injuries but whose talent was never in doubt. His two goals, the first a right foot shot he put right in under Mignolet and his second off a lazy swing that allowed him to pinch the ball, were evidence that the team is using the array of its gifted strikers to its strength.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Novak Djokovic Stars In A New Commercial For Gerble Sans Gluten et Sans Souci
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet