2014 Emmy Primetime Awards Highlights: ‘Breaking Bad’ Rules, Bryan Cranston Kissing Julia Louis-Dreyfus & Billy Crystal’s Tribute To Robin Williams
By Riza Ornos | August 26, 2014 3:38 PM EST
Hosted by Seth Meyers, the 66th Annual Emmy Primetime Awards was the first Monday Emmys since 1979 with Meyers cracking up jokes about "Orange Is the New Black" placed under Outstanding Comedy Series category. AMC's meth-making hit "Breaking Bad" is the biggest winner of the night with five awards including Outstanding Drama Series.
Aaron Paul leaves the stage after accepting the award for Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Drama Series for "Breaking Bad" onstage during the 66th Primetime Emmy Awards in Los Angeles, California August 25, 2014.
Besting PBS "Downtown Abbey," Netflix "House of Cards," HBO "Game of Thrones", AMC "Mad Men" and HBO "True Detective," "Breaking Bad" strikes again for this year's Emmy Primetime Awards. Known for his role as Walter White, Bryan Cranston made a lot of buzz for winning four Emmys for his iconic role and by locking lips with "Veeps" Julia Louis-Dreyfus before she could accept her award for Lead Actress in a Comedy for the second time in a row.
"I don't know why I've been blessed," Cranston said in his victory speech. "I love to act and I will do it to my last breath. I'd like to dedicate this word to all the Sneaky Petes (his childhood nickname) of the world who thought that settling for mediocrity was a good idea because it was safe. Don't do it - take a chance, find a passion, fall in love."
Following his death this month, Robin Williams' contribution to the industry was celebrated through Billy Crystal's heart-felt tribute. A long-time friend of the actor, Crystal gave a touching speech and told the audience about watching the New York Met with the actor. Other stars who were honoured in the tribute segment include Peter O'Toole, James Garner, Maya Angelou, Lauren Bacall and Paul Walker.
"He made us laugh hard, every time you saw him... I spent many hours on stage with Robin and the brilliance was astounding. His relentless energy was thrilling. I used to think if I could just put a saddle on him and stay on for eight seconds I would do okay," Billy said as he eulogized the late "Mrs. Doubtfire" star.
The actor ended his speech telling by everyone that Robin is the best friend anyone could ever imagine and hailed his friend as the "brightest star in the comedy galaxy."
Other highlights of the 2014 Emmys include Weird Al coming onstage and sing his medley version of television show theme songs. Ricky Gervais also joked about being nominated 21 times and lost every time and Jim Parson's winning is not fair.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- 'The Big Bang Theory' Season 8 Episode 7 Spoilers: Penny Takes Off Her Ring In The Misinterpretation Agitation [VIDEO]
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy