2014 US Open: Eugenie Bouchard Stays Calm And Hopes To Excel Under Pressure
By Rachelle Corpuz | August 26, 2014 3:23 PM EST
In some instances, pressure has a negative effect on an athlete's career. Rising Canadian tennis star Eugenie Bouchard, who has been regarded as the next big thing in tennis, admitted that she is dealing with pressure but she isn't letting it get in the way for her to win, succeed and be the best.
Eugenie Bouchard of Canada hits a return during her women's singles semi-final tennis match against Simona Halep of Romania at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London July 3, 2014.
Bouchard is on the cover of the New York Times magazine US Open edition. Its headline reads "Eugenie Bouchard Could Be Tennis' Next Big Shot." Speaking to The Star, Bouchard revealed that those big words has presented a high-pressure situation for her because it only meant that she would need to perform well and live up to the people's expectations. For Bouchard, she knew that she needs to get used to the pressure and stress that her sports career brings and deals with it positively.
"Definitely, there are expectations and pressure, you know, to do well," Bouchard said about her New York Times feature. "But that's something I have to get used to, and something I felt since Wimbledon, and just part of the process. Bouchard became the first Canadian woman to ever reach a finals of a Grand Slam tournament. It was a big achievement for Bouchard, albeit losing to Czech Republic's Petra Kvitova in straight sets.
Bouchard is the seventh seed at the 2014 US Open. Ahead of her first rund match at the Open against Olga Govortsova of Belarus, to who she has played once before and won over in 2012, Bouchard told the reporters during her media session that she wasn't really worried about her lead-up to the Open. She said that she looked back at all the Grand Slam tournaments she had taken part in and said that she had different lead-ups. Bouchard added that she did well in them.
According to the bubbly 20-year-old beautiful athlete, no one can predict that outcome of any Grand Slam tournament. Bouchard stated that there is no magic recipe that could guarantee her victory but she is hopeful to excel so she will to her very best to succeed in her current tournament.
"It's important for me to go in and go for it," Bouchard said.
"I still have to fight and battle no matter what, that's what I'm going to do."
The winner of the match between Bouchard and Govortsova will face either Britain's Heather Watson or Romania's Sorana Cirstea. If Bouchard will come out victorious in the 2014 US Open despite the threats of top-ranked athletes drawn in her quarter such as Serena Williams and Petra Kvitova, then the label of "Tennis' Next Big Shot" could just be vindicated.
MORE SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT NEWS:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Reports Indicate Mayweather Has 2 Girlfriends: Bad Medina & Liza Hernandez
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date