Alaska: 'Star Wars' Lightsaber Toy Sparks Bomb Scare
By Tanya Diente | August 26, 2014 3:15 PM EST
Who knew a lightsaber toy could cause a bomb scare? Apparently, that's what happened as reports claimed a resident in Alaska was threatened by the iconic "Star Wars" weapon.
People dressed as "Star Wars" characters Boba Fett (L) and a Stormtrooper pose at the 2014 Electronic Entertainment Expo, known as E3, in Los Angeles, California June 11, 2014.
Juneau Empire reports the lightsaber toy was found abandoned at an old road in Threadneedle Street in Juneau, Alaska. At first it was said to have been described as a "suspicious device" when its resemblance to the fictional weapon wasn't established yet.
Police officers received a call Tuesday, Aug 19, from someone in Mendenhall Valley reporting the mysterious device. Someone from the neighborhood, which Mirror UK identified as a motorist, was believed to have been really worried over the mysterious device so asked for officers to check out the location. The first dispatcher on the scene reportedly had no clue as to what the object was. So a second officer who specialises in Explosive Ordnance Disposal was called to the scene.
According to the site, the bomb expert didn't even have to use any backup force to probably secure the area or identify the bomb threat. The officer was able to immediately acknowledge the object as a toy resembling the Jedi's lightsaber in George Lucas "Star Wars" movies.
"It was not explosive in any way," Juneau Police Department spokeswoman Erann Kalwara said.
According to Mirror UK, the iconic weapon used by the Sith and the Jedi Warriors in the "Star Wars" movies is four feet in length and characterised by its metallic hilt which glows green to signify its energy.
Kalwara said the toy may have been mistaken for a bomb because it was taped to a stick. The plastic lightsaber was also discovered by the motorist in the closed position (see photo from Mirror UK).
According to Juneau Empire the caller didn't call 911 for assistance. Instead, the motorist used the JPD business line to report the suspected "bomb threat."
In related news, "Star Wars: Episode VII" has been making movie headlines with its latest set photo leaked online. International Business Times previously reported some scenes in Luke Skywalker's desert planet of Tatooine may also be filmed at London's Pinewood Studios.
A leaked photo of the Tatooine set made the rounds on the internet and was said to have been taken from the Studios. This reveal sparks questions whether a few more scenes of the Jedi Master's hometown need to be filmed. Cast and crew reportedly already wrapped up scenes of the desert in Dubai during the first few weeks of filming for "Star Wars: Episode VII."
"Star Wars: Episode VII" premieres in the U.S. on Dec. 18, 2015. Casts include John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, Adam Driver and Domhnall Gleeson among others.
Source: YouTube/ RedPegasus
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Sydney Siege Aftermath: Australia's Gun Laws May Be Under Review
- Sydney Siege Victim Katrina Dawson Killed by Man Haron Monis, Preliminary Report Suggests
- Australian Muslim Says Sorry for Sydney Siege
- Sweden Launches Website To Crack Down On Child Sex Tourists
- Rupert Murdoch Blasted For 'Insensitive' Tweet Over Bloody Outcome of Sydney Siege