‘Breaking Bad’ Breaks Many Hearts At Emmy Awards 2014, Bryan Cranston, Anna Gunn, Aaron Paul Win
By Anshu Shrivastava | August 26, 2014 3:12 PM EST
AMC's cult drama series "Breaking Bad" wrapped-up last year in September but it returned on Monday night at the 66th primetime Emmy Awards to remind everyone that it still rules. It won six Emmy awards, including the most coveted outstanding drama series award.
"Breaking Bad" showed the transformation of a mild-manner, chemistry teacher Walter White [Bryan Cranston] into a dreaded drug kingpin Heisenberg. [Spoiler Alert] The series ended with the death of White's character [Spoiler Alert].
Matthew McConaughey was the top favourite to win the outstanding lead actor in a drama series "True Detective." Bryan Cranston beat him and Jeff Daniels ["The Newsroom], Jon Hamm ["Mad Men"], Woody Harrelson ["True Detective"] and Kevin Spacey ["House of Cards"] to take the top honours in the drama series acting category.
CNN has quoted Cranston as saying "Even I thought about voting for Matthew." According to CNN, the actor dedicated the award to "all the Sneaky Petes of the world. ... Take a chance, take a risk. It's really worth it." During his acceptance speech, he recalled that his family gave him the nickname of "Sneaky Pete."
Anna Gunn, who played Skyler White in "Breaking Bad," won the outstanding supporting actress in the drama category. It is her second consecutive Emmy award for the role that got her a lot of hate mails.
"Our amazing producers, our incredible writers, our amazing crew back in New Mexico, and also the most remarkable cast I could have asked to work with," Gunn said in her acceptance speech, as quoted by Entertainment Weekly. She called Cranston the "baddest and best" TV husband.
The character of Jesse Pinkman was fans' favourite. Originally, this character was supposed to bid adieu in Season 1 of "Breaking Bad." The character ended-up being an integral part of the story-line till the end. And for his Pinkman performance, Aaron Paul took home the Emmy for outstanding supporting actor in the drama category. Accepting award, the actor said, "I've learned so much, on screen and off."
Meanwhile, in the outstanding drama series category, "Breaking Bad" won the award by beating British period drama "Downton Abbey," hugely popular "Game of Thrones," Netflix's critically acclaimed original series "House of Cards," "Mad Men," which is in its swansong season, and the show of the year, "True Detective."
In addition to the show and acting awards, "Breaking Bad" also bagged the outstanding writing for a drama series award. Moira Walley-Beckett won the Emmy for "Breaking Bad - Ozymandias."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]