NFL News: St. Louis Rams Quarterback Sam Bradford to Miss Entire Season with Knee Injury
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | August 26, 2014 1:29 PM EST
St. Louis Rams Quarterback Sam Bradford to Miss Entire Season with Knee Injury
Sam Bradford, quarterback for the St. Louis Rams in the National Football League (NFL) is out for the entire 2014-2015 season due to torn ACL in his left knee. The same injury cost Bradford half of last season and the injury is a big blow to the Rams’ campaign this year.
Aug 23, 2014; Cleveland, OH, USA; St. Louis Rams quarterback Sam Bradford (8) is helped off the field after getting injury in the first quarter against the Cleveland Browns at FirstEnergy Stadium.
Bradford took a hit to the knee in a preseason game against the Cleveland Browns defensive lineman Armonty Bryant and was initially diagnosed as not serious but MRI tests after confirmed the bad news that the 26-year-old QB will indeed miss the entire year for St. Louis.
Bradford was the first overall pick in the 2010 NFL Draft and is entering his fifth season in the leauge.
According to a report from ESPN.COM, among quarterbacks that have been the top pick in the draft since 1967, only JaMarcus Russell (31) and Alex Smith (43) have played fewer games in their first five years in the league than Bradford, who is considered injury-prone due to his failure to stay in the field for long stretches.
He missed 6 of 16 games in the 2010-2011 season and another 9 of 16 in the 2013-2014 season. This is the second major injury for the knee of Bradford, who will be replaced in the Rams’ starting line-up by veteran Shaun Hill.
"There's a 1-in-100 chance that something like that would happen. It wasn't a high impact; ACL injuries, they are all different. This was just kind of a hyperextension with the impact coming from the outside. The knee was locked, and something has to give. Unfortunately the ACL gave,” Jeff Fisher, the Rams head coach, shared in the same article.
Fisher added that the Rams are not yet panicking about the 2014-2015 season and that they are going to evaluate the situation before making any major moves.
Bradford played in just seven games for the Rams in the 2013-2014 season leading the team to a 3-4 win-loss record. He showed flashes of brilliance in the victories against the Arizona Cardinals with 299 passing yards (27-of-38 completions) with 2 touchdowns and an interception; Jacksonville Jaguars with 222 passing yards (19-of-34 completions) with 3 touchdowns and no interception; and Houston Texans with 117 passing yards (12-of-26 completions) with 3 touchdowns and no interception.
Bradford is signed through 2015 at $78.05 million contract and has an average annual salary of roughly $13 million. The Rams and Bradford were working on an extension last season but never finalized a deal. He is set to be an unrestricted free agent after the 2014-2015 NFL season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS