NFL News: St. Louis Rams Quarterback Sam Bradford to Miss Entire Season with Knee Injury
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | August 26, 2014 1:29 PM EST
St. Louis Rams Quarterback Sam Bradford to Miss Entire Season with Knee Injury
Sam Bradford, quarterback for the St. Louis Rams in the National Football League (NFL) is out for the entire 2014-2015 season due to torn ACL in his left knee. The same injury cost Bradford half of last season and the injury is a big blow to the Rams’ campaign this year.
Aug 23, 2014; Cleveland, OH, USA; St. Louis Rams quarterback Sam Bradford (8) is helped off the field after getting injury in the first quarter against the Cleveland Browns at FirstEnergy Stadium.
Bradford took a hit to the knee in a preseason game against the Cleveland Browns defensive lineman Armonty Bryant and was initially diagnosed as not serious but MRI tests after confirmed the bad news that the 26-year-old QB will indeed miss the entire year for St. Louis.
Bradford was the first overall pick in the 2010 NFL Draft and is entering his fifth season in the leauge.
According to a report from ESPN.COM, among quarterbacks that have been the top pick in the draft since 1967, only JaMarcus Russell (31) and Alex Smith (43) have played fewer games in their first five years in the league than Bradford, who is considered injury-prone due to his failure to stay in the field for long stretches.
He missed 6 of 16 games in the 2010-2011 season and another 9 of 16 in the 2013-2014 season. This is the second major injury for the knee of Bradford, who will be replaced in the Rams’ starting line-up by veteran Shaun Hill.
"There's a 1-in-100 chance that something like that would happen. It wasn't a high impact; ACL injuries, they are all different. This was just kind of a hyperextension with the impact coming from the outside. The knee was locked, and something has to give. Unfortunately the ACL gave,” Jeff Fisher, the Rams head coach, shared in the same article.
Fisher added that the Rams are not yet panicking about the 2014-2015 season and that they are going to evaluate the situation before making any major moves.
Bradford played in just seven games for the Rams in the 2013-2014 season leading the team to a 3-4 win-loss record. He showed flashes of brilliance in the victories against the Arizona Cardinals with 299 passing yards (27-of-38 completions) with 2 touchdowns and an interception; Jacksonville Jaguars with 222 passing yards (19-of-34 completions) with 3 touchdowns and no interception; and Houston Texans with 117 passing yards (12-of-26 completions) with 3 touchdowns and no interception.
Bradford is signed through 2015 at $78.05 million contract and has an average annual salary of roughly $13 million. The Rams and Bradford were working on an extension last season but never finalized a deal. He is set to be an unrestricted free agent after the 2014-2015 NFL season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Chelsea FC: Thibaut Courtois Thanks Cech For Tips Following Injury Scare, Not Ready To Relinquish No. 1 Spot
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch