NFL News: St. Louis Rams Quarterback Sam Bradford to Miss Entire Season with Knee Injury
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | August 26, 2014 1:29 PM EST
St. Louis Rams Quarterback Sam Bradford to Miss Entire Season with Knee Injury
Sam Bradford, quarterback for the St. Louis Rams in the National Football League (NFL) is out for the entire 2014-2015 season due to torn ACL in his left knee. The same injury cost Bradford half of last season and the injury is a big blow to the Rams’ campaign this year.
Aug 23, 2014; Cleveland, OH, USA; St. Louis Rams quarterback Sam Bradford (8) is helped off the field after getting injury in the first quarter against the Cleveland Browns at FirstEnergy Stadium.
Bradford took a hit to the knee in a preseason game against the Cleveland Browns defensive lineman Armonty Bryant and was initially diagnosed as not serious but MRI tests after confirmed the bad news that the 26-year-old QB will indeed miss the entire year for St. Louis.
Bradford was the first overall pick in the 2010 NFL Draft and is entering his fifth season in the leauge.
According to a report from ESPN.COM, among quarterbacks that have been the top pick in the draft since 1967, only JaMarcus Russell (31) and Alex Smith (43) have played fewer games in their first five years in the league than Bradford, who is considered injury-prone due to his failure to stay in the field for long stretches.
He missed 6 of 16 games in the 2010-2011 season and another 9 of 16 in the 2013-2014 season. This is the second major injury for the knee of Bradford, who will be replaced in the Rams’ starting line-up by veteran Shaun Hill.
"There's a 1-in-100 chance that something like that would happen. It wasn't a high impact; ACL injuries, they are all different. This was just kind of a hyperextension with the impact coming from the outside. The knee was locked, and something has to give. Unfortunately the ACL gave,” Jeff Fisher, the Rams head coach, shared in the same article.
Fisher added that the Rams are not yet panicking about the 2014-2015 season and that they are going to evaluate the situation before making any major moves.
Bradford played in just seven games for the Rams in the 2013-2014 season leading the team to a 3-4 win-loss record. He showed flashes of brilliance in the victories against the Arizona Cardinals with 299 passing yards (27-of-38 completions) with 2 touchdowns and an interception; Jacksonville Jaguars with 222 passing yards (19-of-34 completions) with 3 touchdowns and no interception; and Houston Texans with 117 passing yards (12-of-26 completions) with 3 touchdowns and no interception.
Bradford is signed through 2015 at $78.05 million contract and has an average annual salary of roughly $13 million. The Rams and Bradford were working on an extension last season but never finalized a deal. He is set to be an unrestricted free agent after the 2014-2015 NFL season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Green Bay Packers Vs. Chicago Bears Live Streaming Info And Preview
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate