Rhonda Rousey Fractured Expendables 3 Director's Ribs During Shoot
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | August 26, 2014 1:15 PM EST
Rhonda Rousey was having trouble distinguishing fact from fiction, and her Expendables 3 Director got a taste first hand on the prowess of the UFC champ's prowess.
Cast member Ronda Rousey attends the premiere of the film "The Expendables 3" in Los Angeles August 11, 2014.
According to Between the Ropes, Patrick Hughes, the film's director, relayed that during the shooting of the film, the neophyte actress broke one of his ribs during an off-camera workshop. He recalls the first scene Rousey had to shoot in the movie which was the bar scene with Sylvester Stallone. Barney Ross, Stallone's character, eyes Rousey as she disposes a number of trouble making men in the bar where she works as the bouncer.
MMA's biggest draw was jittery for her first scene and the director noticed and tried to calm her nerves. Before the scene was shot, Rousey and Hughes apparently had this conversation:
Hughes: "Well, what do you do before a big fight?"
Rousey: "I like to spar in my room. I get that nervous energy out."
Hughes: "So, you need to hit something? Let's find something to hit."
Rousey: "But I want to hit you."
The director obliged and what followed next was a blur. The two-time Olympian instructed her to put up his arms in anticipation of a shot to the body. At that point, Hughes was just thinking that Rousey was actually up to the task and he absorbed the shot. Next day, his 7-year-old daughter noticed a black mark on the body part that Rousey punched, and a broken rib as souvenir.
Rousey now denies the claim of her director, saying that she did not make full force during the punch to fracture a rib. She did however conceded that she had first time jitters during the initial shoot that faded away once she was accustomed to the whole process. Rousey claims that her expectations was like going into a new school and being put into a corner by her fellow actors but what transpired was the exact opposite, having been showered with warmth and accommodation by the crew and fellow actors.
"I thought I was going to be like the new kid at the school when I walk into the cafeteria and everyone's like, 'you can't sit here!' That's what I thought I was walking into," Rousey said of the movie set.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related