Green Coffee Extract The Latest Diet Fad: Katy Perry, Demi Moore Allegedly Use It to Control Weight
By Sarah Thomas | August 26, 2014 12:10 PM EST
Green coffee extract pills are the latest diet fad among Hollywood celebrities. Katy Perry and Demi Moore are said to use it for weight loss. This is coffee made from unripe coffee beans. The Examiner reported that the extract does not contain caffeine. Since it does not contain caffeine, which is highly essential for boosting a person's metabolism, the question as to the effectiveness of the coffee bean for weight loss comes in.
Singer Katy Perry performs at a concert commemorating the Special Olympics at the White House in Washington, July 31, 2014.
The coffee beans are said to have chlorogenic acids, a substance called 5-caffeoylquinic helps burn fat in the body. Several people have testified the benefits of the green coffee extract, Dr Mehmet Oz, cardiothoracic surgeon, author and television personality, also believes that the extract works for weight loss. But he warns that there are many fakes in the market, and so people must check and buy an original product.
Dr Oz had conducted his own study to check the effectiveness of the green coffee beans. For the trials, he took two groups of women and instructed one group to take the coffee bean extract for two weeks. The first group consumed 1,200 mgs of the extract per day, and the other group took a placebo for the same period of time. The results of the experiment were that the placebo group collectively lost 41 pounds, but those on the extract lost double the weight, a total of 81 pounds. That would mean on the average, the placebo group lost one pound each and the coffee bean extract group lost two pounds in the same period. This amount of weight loss is extremely small to draw conclusions on the effectiveness of the extract.
The Dr. Oz show referred to it as "The green coffee bean that burns fat fast" and claimed that no exercise or diet was needed. According to WebMD, the information is poor.
The green coffee extract is said to have several benefits, it is supposedly good for heart disease, diabetes, weight loss and other diseases. But there are several side effects to it as well and that needs to be kept in mind.
WebMD stated that though there have been no side effects recorded in the clinical researches when taken in the appropriate doses orally. But it does have adverse respiratory effects when inhaled. Romi Polichino, a London-based nutritionist, told the London Daily Mail that anxiety, high blood pressure and irritable bowel syndrome were a few side effects. "People have suffered from any of these things, or panic attacks and epilepsy, shouldn't take them," he said.
Instead, the beans contain chlorogenic acids, including one that happens to be a potent natural fat-buster called 5-caffeoylquinic acid. A Hollywood nutritionist told the Grazia magazine is an interview that several actresses were gaga over green coffee bean extract, including the nutritionist's clients as well.
'As soon as this pill got a name for itself as being the new miracle weight loss tablet, word spread like wildfire among the Hollywood elite. You're supposed to take 800mg a day but some are taking 1,600mg and insisting," the nutritionist added. This could be dangerous and can cause more harm than good.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Sugar Is The Major Cause Of Obesity: Top 5 Ways To Reduce Your Sugar Intake
- Ebola Survivors' Blood Sold in Black Market, WHO Warns Buyers of Risks Including Death
- Jennifer Lopez's Diet and Fitness Secrets Revealed: Ways by Which She Keeps Her Lower Body Toned
- Hip Hop Mogul Russell Simmons Says In New Book That Meditation and Yoga Can Make You Rich
- Kids Whose Parents Went To College Eat Healthier, Study Finds
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown