Mystery Surrounds a Ripped Page of Koran Being Auctioned for $74,000
By Athena Yenko | August 26, 2014 9:59 AM EST
A torn page from Koran is being auctioned at Bargain Hunt Auctions at Thornleigh, Sydney. As of press time the bidding had already reached $74,000.
According to auctioneer Mark Owens, he had no clues where the torn page came from and definitely has no clue how much the bidding will reach by Saturday.
"Without putting it to forensic analysis, it's impossible to know. We're a general auction house. We don't really know. It could be 16th century, could be 14th century, could be 18th. It's certainly not something from 50 or 100 years ago. But I can tell you it came in a frame that probably cost $3. And it wasn't in great condition - a few tears," Owens said.
Owens also described the Koran page as hugely no decorative.
"As is always with the Koran, it's just script. There's a few delicate highlights in gold. Very understated," he added.
Before the official auction starts, Owens estimated that auction will only amount to $40 to $ 60. However, the page has the first live bid amounting to $4,400. After fifteen minutes, the bidding reached $74,000.
The Sydney Morning Herald asks whether the bidder knew a grand history behind the hand-written torn page.
Owens said that there is always the element of taking a punt. But the bidders did not bother to fly over and scrutinize the material. What they only asked for were high-resolution photographs.
The torn page from Koran reached the highest price as compared to other materials being auctioned.
The person selling the page wished to remain unknown.
A similar incident had also happened a few months ago, according to Owens. A man approached Bargain Hunt Auctions with another page from the Koran. The man said that he had also bought the page from an auction on the Central Coast for $10.
"I told him, 'That'll go all OK. We thought it would go for a couple of hundred. It ended up going for $29,000, so that was a bit of a surprise," Owens recalled.
Owens said that maybe words of mouth reached the man who owned the latter page of Koran, hence, he came forward and started the auction.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’