Mystery Surrounds a Ripped Page of Koran Being Auctioned for $74,000
By Athena Yenko | August 26, 2014 9:59 AM EST
A torn page from Koran is being auctioned at Bargain Hunt Auctions at Thornleigh, Sydney. As of press time the bidding had already reached $74,000.
According to auctioneer Mark Owens, he had no clues where the torn page came from and definitely has no clue how much the bidding will reach by Saturday.
"Without putting it to forensic analysis, it's impossible to know. We're a general auction house. We don't really know. It could be 16th century, could be 14th century, could be 18th. It's certainly not something from 50 or 100 years ago. But I can tell you it came in a frame that probably cost $3. And it wasn't in great condition - a few tears," Owens said.
Owens also described the Koran page as hugely no decorative.
"As is always with the Koran, it's just script. There's a few delicate highlights in gold. Very understated," he added.
Before the official auction starts, Owens estimated that auction will only amount to $40 to $ 60. However, the page has the first live bid amounting to $4,400. After fifteen minutes, the bidding reached $74,000.
The Sydney Morning Herald asks whether the bidder knew a grand history behind the hand-written torn page.
Owens said that there is always the element of taking a punt. But the bidders did not bother to fly over and scrutinize the material. What they only asked for were high-resolution photographs.
The torn page from Koran reached the highest price as compared to other materials being auctioned.
The person selling the page wished to remain unknown.
A similar incident had also happened a few months ago, according to Owens. A man approached Bargain Hunt Auctions with another page from the Koran. The man said that he had also bought the page from an auction on the Central Coast for $10.
"I told him, 'That'll go all OK. We thought it would go for a couple of hundred. It ended up going for $29,000, so that was a bit of a surprise," Owens recalled.
Owens said that maybe words of mouth reached the man who owned the latter page of Koran, hence, he came forward and started the auction.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Pope Francis Ultimate Target By Conservative Cardinals
- Are You There, Archbishop Welby Asks God
- Sydney Public Beheadings Confirmed By PM Tony Abbott
- End Times Prophecy Lurking W/ WW3 Nuclear Threat, Iraq Crisis And Ebola
- End-Of-The World Doomsday Prophets Continue To Spread Mandatory Chip Implant Hoax, Claims EU Requires Newborns To Have RFID Implants
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- 'ISIL Has To Be Defeated, Plain And Simple, End Of Story,' Sen. John Kerry
- New Samsung Galaxy S5 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Released, Verizon Guide and Installation