Caltex Australia to Axe 10% of Work Force in Next 12 Months
By Vittorio Hernandez | August 26, 2014 9:29 AM EST
Fuel distributor Caltex continued to downsize its Australian operations, announcing on Monday that it will further cut 10 per cent of its work force in the next 12 months. The 10 per cent is equal to 350 jobs that will be shed as part of Caltex's restructuring.
In 2012, Caltex axed 400 jobs when it shuttered its Kurnell refinery in Sydney. The changes aim to make the firm competitive and perform better, said Caltex Chief Executive Julian Segal.
"This is not just a cost out program but a holistic review of operations and efficiency across the whole organisation," Segal said.
He added, "We have been around for more than 100 years ... the way we have done that is to adjust to the type of environment in which we operate."
The closure of Caltex's Sydney refinery is part of the move of the company from fuel refining as it concentrates on distribution and marketing.
Of the 350 jobs to be lost, 115 would come from Caltex's marketing business, 120 are those performing corporate support functions and the rest from other parts of its business across the supply chain.
Caltex also announced that its first half net profit increased by 1 per cent to $173 million.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Sydney Software Firm Bigcommerce Teams Up With Alibaba To Beat Amazon
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports