Aussie Big Man Aron Baynes Open To Signing With Euro Squad
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | August 26, 2014 4:31 AM EST
Aron Baynes main option is to extend his stay with NBA champion team San Antonio Spurs but he’s not closing on doors on the possibility that the Australian will eventually sign with a European squad in the 2014 offseason.
Baynes, who is currently in Spain to help the Australian basketball national team battle in the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup, did not see major minutes for the Spurs in the 2013-2014 NBA season although he is part of the champion squad that defeated the Miami Heat in the 2014 NBA Finals.
Baynes has a bigger role with the national squad ahead of big men like David Andersen, Nathan Jawai and Brock Motum in head coach Andrej Lemanis’ rotation.
Baynes have been extended the qualifying offer of US $1.12 million (AU $1.19 million) by the Spurs but can get a slight increase, and perhaps a multi-year deal, if he transfers to Europe. The Aussie is reportedly demanding an annual salary of $1.5 million Euros or roughly AU$ 2.13 million.
While the Spurs are an attractive destination considering they are a NBA title contending team, Baynes will most likely get a better deal in Europe both financially and basketball-wise. At San Antonio, he plays behind veteran star Tim Duncan and other established players like Tiago Splitter and Boris Diaw in Gregg Popovich’s rotation.
The 27-year-old Baynes is from Gisborne, New Zealand but has represented the Australia basketball NT since 2010. Baynes has already played in Europe before playing with Lietovos Rytas (Lithuania) in 2009-2010; EWE Baskets Oldenburg (Germany) in 2010-2011; Ikaros Kallitheas (Greece) in 2011-2012; Union Olmpija (Slovenia) in 2012-2013 before joining the San Antonio Spurs in the 2013-2014 season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier