Aussie Big Man Aron Baynes Open To Signing With Euro Squad
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | August 26, 2014 4:31 AM EST
Aron Baynes main option is to extend his stay with NBA champion team San Antonio Spurs but he’s not closing on doors on the possibility that the Australian will eventually sign with a European squad in the 2014 offseason.
Baynes, who is currently in Spain to help the Australian basketball national team battle in the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup, did not see major minutes for the Spurs in the 2013-2014 NBA season although he is part of the champion squad that defeated the Miami Heat in the 2014 NBA Finals.
Baynes has a bigger role with the national squad ahead of big men like David Andersen, Nathan Jawai and Brock Motum in head coach Andrej Lemanis’ rotation.
Baynes have been extended the qualifying offer of US $1.12 million (AU $1.19 million) by the Spurs but can get a slight increase, and perhaps a multi-year deal, if he transfers to Europe. The Aussie is reportedly demanding an annual salary of $1.5 million Euros or roughly AU$ 2.13 million.
While the Spurs are an attractive destination considering they are a NBA title contending team, Baynes will most likely get a better deal in Europe both financially and basketball-wise. At San Antonio, he plays behind veteran star Tim Duncan and other established players like Tiago Splitter and Boris Diaw in Gregg Popovich’s rotation.
The 27-year-old Baynes is from Gisborne, New Zealand but has represented the Australia basketball NT since 2010. Baynes has already played in Europe before playing with Lietovos Rytas (Lithuania) in 2009-2010; EWE Baskets Oldenburg (Germany) in 2010-2011; Ikaros Kallitheas (Greece) in 2011-2012; Union Olmpija (Slovenia) in 2012-2013 before joining the San Antonio Spurs in the 2013-2014 season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Fernando Alonso Leaves Ferrari 'For Two Reasons'
- Roger Federer Says He Has Never Seen Rafael Nadal Play So Bad, Wishes That The Spaniard Recuperate Well From Appendicitis
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nick Kyrgios Holds Twitter Q&A, Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time And His Favourite Superhero
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Xiaomi VP Hugo Barra Says ‘Apple iPhone 6 Is The Most Beautiful Smartphone Ever Built’
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown