FIBA World Cup 2014: Karl-Anthony Towns Will Not Play For Dominican Republic
By Dana Alyssa Ramos | August 25, 2014 5:49 PM EST
Karl-Anthony Towns will not play at the upcoming FIBA World Cup 2014 for the Dominican Republic basketball national team, as requested by his school, University of Kentucky.
Although the Kentucky freshman has played with the Dominican Republic team in the previous years and pulled down two rebounds in just 10 minutes during the USA and Dominican Republic exhibition game at the Madison Square Garden last week, he wasn't supported by Kentucky to partake in the event.
The Wildcats Freshman tweeted,
As much as it hurts to not be playing in Spain, I am a STUDENT-athlete first and committed to my studies at the University of Kentucky #BBN
Before Towns started to play for the Kentucky Wildcats, he was already a member of the Dominican Republic team but he prefers to focus on his freshman year as the Kentucky Wildcats prepares to venture on the campaign for the 9th NCAA Tournament Trophy. In the future, Towns can still play for the Dominican Republic team in the FIBA World Cup but it won't be this year.
At Kentucky's six-game tour of the Bahamas last week, the 18-year-old averaged 6.5 rebounds and 11.0 points per game. Towns has been a consensus top 10 player of 2014 class and one of the members of Kentucky's recruiting class, which is ranked no. 2 by rivals.com.
Moreover, according to ESPN NBA Draft guru Chad Ford in an article on kentucky.247sports.com, Towns is in the discussion for the top pick in summer 2015 NBA Draft, after two impressive outings in the Bahamas, where Kentucky freshman Karl-Anthony Towns notched a double-double with 10 rebounds and 19 points in an 81-58 victory over Chalons Reims, a French professional team.
The Dominican Republic national team, coached by current South Florida coach Orlando Antigua and former Kentucky assistant was hammered by team USA 105-62 in an exhibition game.
The FIBA World Cup will be on Aug. 30 through Sept.14 in Barcelona, Spain.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys