Floyd Mayweather Shrugs Off Amir Khan’s Comments About Manny Pacquiao Being A Tougher Opponent Than Him
By Rachelle Corpuz | August 25, 2014 5:47 PM EST
Floyd Mayweather has expressed his sentiments after hearing about the statements that Amir Khan has made, claiming that Manny Pacquiao would present a tougher contest than him. Mayweather wasn't much bothered about the British boxer's comments.
WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. of the U.S. poses on the scale during an official weigh-in at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, May 2, 2014. Mayweather faces WBA welterweight champion Marcos Maidana of Argentina in a WBC/WBA unification fight at the arena on May 3. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
"I saw the comments where he thought Manny would give him a tougher fight than me," Mayweather said via the Daily Mail. "I have no response to that, I will just remind him of those comments after I have beaten him."
According to Mayweather, the fight between him and Khan could still happen. He added that he just couldn't simply fight anybody. A fighter will have to first prove his worth to land a fight with him, the unbeaten boxer further stated. However, Mayweather hinted that the fight that Khan has been longing to have will still happen, but not in 2014.
"If you ask me will the fight happen, then I would say yes, I hope next year, but these fights are always about timing."
Khan has said that the eight-division Filipino world champion was more aggressive, which makes a bout with him more intense. He has compared a fight with Mayweather more like a game of chess.
It has been widely known that Khan has always wanted to fight Mayweather. Earlier this year, Mayweather has created a poll asking boxing fans to pick his May opponent between Khan and the Argentine fighter Marcos Maidana. Even though Khan primarily won the poll, Mayweather ended up choosing Maidana over Khan. Nonetheless, Khan still appeared in Mayweather vs. Maidana fight as an undercard match. Both Mayweather and Khan earned victories.
Khan's dream fight with American boxer was further stalled because a rematch between Mayweather and Maidana was set at the MGM Grand Arena in Las Vegas in September. Besides, Ramadan will also forbid Khan from fighting Mayweather in September. Khan's next fight will be against Kell Brook, The Telegraph reported. The fight will take place at Wembley Stadium in May.
MORE SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT NEWS:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage