MTV VMA 2014: Miley Cyrus Wins Video of the Year Award, Send Homeless Man to Collect Award, Gets Praised [SEE VIDEO]
By nidhi tewari | August 25, 2014 4:07 PM EST
What difference can one year make to someone's life? A lot, if we see Miley Cyrus. The controversial singer was a breath of fresh air at the MTV Video Music Awards ceremony in Los Angeles on Sunday night. The 21-year-old singer's music video of "Wrecking Ball" won in the Video of the Year category at the star studded event. Miley's presence at this year's MTV VMA was completely in contrast to her last year's controversial performance with Robin Thicke.
REUTERS/Maja Suslin/TT News Ag
U.S. singer Miley Cyrus performs during her concert at the Ericsson Globe Arena in Stockholm, in this May 30, 2014 picture provided by TT News Agency.
Miley also revealed that she is making new music with The Flaming Lips and added that her upcoming album will "not be about twerking but about music." The daughter of country singer Billy Ray also made a humanitarian gesture when she sent a homeless man named Jesse on stage to accept the award on her behalf.
Miley also posted a selfie with Jesse on her Instagram page and also asked Jesse to make a speech to spread the awareness about homeless people. Check out the selfie here.
"Thank you all - my name is Jesse, and I am accepting this award on behalf of the 1.6 million homeless youth. I've survived in shelters all over. ... Though I may have been invisible to you in the streets, I have the same dreams as many of you," read Jesse from a piece of paper and made a moving speech at the MTV VMA stage.
"I've survived in shelters all over the city," Jesse said. "I've been an extra in your movies, I've been an extra in your life.... Outside these doors are 54,000 human beings that have no place to call home," he added as Miley watched fighting back her tears.
Miley's gesture for homeless youth was appreciated by a large number of people on social media platforms. The singer is also using her Facebook account for this purpose and has posted a small video clip on her page where she talks about homeless youth. Check it out here.
Compared to last year's MTV VMA where Miley showed off a lot of skin, the singer was dressed a bit conservatively at this year's awards show. The "Adore You" singer wore black leather pants and a sexy black tube top. Her make-up was minimal and she looked great with her golden cropped hair and infectious smile. Check out her picture here. Meanwhile, check out the video of Miley and Jesse's acceptance speech at the MTV VMA below.
Source: youtube.com/Mhy dex
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 6 Spoilers: Abby Sciuto Talks Of Cote de Pablo's Character, 'I Loved Ziva But She Left Us' (Review)
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actor Kit Harington Denies Romance With Co-stars Rose Leslie And Emilia Clarke
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight