MTV VMA 2014: Miley Cyrus Wins Video of the Year Award, Send Homeless Man to Collect Award, Gets Praised [SEE VIDEO]
By nidhi tewari | August 25, 2014 4:07 PM EST
What difference can one year make to someone's life? A lot, if we see Miley Cyrus. The controversial singer was a breath of fresh air at the MTV Video Music Awards ceremony in Los Angeles on Sunday night. The 21-year-old singer's music video of "Wrecking Ball" won in the Video of the Year category at the star studded event. Miley's presence at this year's MTV VMA was completely in contrast to her last year's controversial performance with Robin Thicke.
REUTERS/Maja Suslin/TT News Ag
U.S. singer Miley Cyrus performs during her concert at the Ericsson Globe Arena in Stockholm, in this May 30, 2014 picture provided by TT News Agency.
Miley also revealed that she is making new music with The Flaming Lips and added that her upcoming album will "not be about twerking but about music." The daughter of country singer Billy Ray also made a humanitarian gesture when she sent a homeless man named Jesse on stage to accept the award on her behalf.
Miley also posted a selfie with Jesse on her Instagram page and also asked Jesse to make a speech to spread the awareness about homeless people. Check out the selfie here.
"Thank you all - my name is Jesse, and I am accepting this award on behalf of the 1.6 million homeless youth. I've survived in shelters all over. ... Though I may have been invisible to you in the streets, I have the same dreams as many of you," read Jesse from a piece of paper and made a moving speech at the MTV VMA stage.
"I've survived in shelters all over the city," Jesse said. "I've been an extra in your movies, I've been an extra in your life.... Outside these doors are 54,000 human beings that have no place to call home," he added as Miley watched fighting back her tears.
Miley's gesture for homeless youth was appreciated by a large number of people on social media platforms. The singer is also using her Facebook account for this purpose and has posted a small video clip on her page where she talks about homeless youth. Check it out here.
Compared to last year's MTV VMA where Miley showed off a lot of skin, the singer was dressed a bit conservatively at this year's awards show. The "Adore You" singer wore black leather pants and a sexy black tube top. Her make-up was minimal and she looked great with her golden cropped hair and infectious smile. Check out her picture here. Meanwhile, check out the video of Miley and Jesse's acceptance speech at the MTV VMA below.
Source: youtube.com/Mhy dex
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation