Google Project Night Walk: Feel the Warmth of Marseille from a Distance (Watch Video)
By Merlyn D'costa | August 25, 2014 4:05 PM EST
A futuristic technology launched by Google called "The Project Night Walk" is a tour in the night through the beautiful streets of Marseille, France. The project features stops at street art destination. A tour is created using digital technology that features an art form that dates back to the Caves of Lascaux.
A Google logo is seen at the garage where the company was founded on Google's 15th anniversary in Menlo Park, California September 26, 2013. REUTERS/Stephen Lam
People who would like to walk the streets of Marseille can now do so from their homes. The tour starts with an audio greeting on how to use the Night Walk. As a person navigates through the city they can feast on the stunning city and architecture and look in any direction they want. The tour has specific paths but a traveller could move to any street or explore the place via a mini map on the lower left corner of the screen.
During the exploration a tour guide will show the hotspot and explain the history and architecture of the place. When at a hotspot photo galleries and You Tube clips will pop up making the street view an interesting and educational experience. Google has also added collectables to the places a person visits.
The site describes itself saying, "'Night Walk' takes you on an immersive journey through lively Cours Julien, a neighbourhood of Marseille famous for its unique atmosphere and street art. Listening to your guides Julie and Christophe, you can wander around the vibrant streets as if you were really there, thanks to 360-degree panoramas that we captured at night. Your walk is enriched with photos, images, videos, sounds and interesting facts, allowing you to dive into this neighbourhood and learn more about its diverse culture and history. Enjoy your night walk!"
According to the website to tell the story of Julie and the city of Marseille several products of Google were used in co-ordination with several others to help experience the Night Walk. Built on the 360 degree photospheres with customised Google Map Integration the tour allows a person to follow Julie around the streets of Marseille. With Google Knowledge Graph the walk is enhanced by logical data and information from the Google data base at their disposal.
"Mobile users are treated to mobile-first functionalities, which use the Google Places API to pull in local data based on their location. Everything lives and loads in the cloud, running on top of the Google App Engine", says the website.
This technology will change the way the world is perceived in the future.
Source: YouTube/ MediaMonks Global
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'Dragon Age: Inquisition' Warrior, Rogue, Mage Gameplay And Combat Strategies
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ And ‘Rogue’ Updates: More Revealed For Co-Op, Collector’s Edition And Possible PC Debut
- Android 5.0 L November And December Rollout: Android One, Nexus, Google Play, Galaxy S5, Galaxy Note 4
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Release Dates Set To Hit 3 Areas As Early As September
- ‘Minecraft’ PS4, Xbox One And PS Vita Updates From Devs, Microsoft CEO Talks About The Buyout
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best