Liverpool FC Transfer News: Rodgers Urges Sturridge To Look At The Bright Side Ahead of Imminent Mario Balotelli Signing
By Mark Wayne Eubank | August 25, 2014 3:54 PM EST
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers urges his top striker, Daniel Sturridge, to take things positively, should the Merseysiders successfully sign Mario Balotelli.
"You are not worried about what someone else can come in and do," said the 41-year-old.
Liverpool's Daniel Sturridge celebrates after scoring a goal against Southampton during their English Premier League soccer match at Anfield in Liverpool, northern England August 17, 2014.
"If you are a top player and you are looking at another top player coming in then you will be thinking, 'He can help us.'
"If you are a top player with a top mentality then you respond to the competition."
The England international had lived under the shadows of Luis Suarez, so to speak, since moving to Stamford Bridge in January 2013, and is seemingly destined to suffer a similar fate again even after the Uruguayan's departure this summer.
Enjoying a healthy 2013/14 campaign, the former Manchester City and Chelsea man was able to fill the scoresheets with his 22 goals in the Premier League, alongside 9 assists. Spectacular as his statline relatively seems, he was still regarded as Suarez's sidekick, who was oftentimes overlooked.
As a precaution to a possible fallout in the dugout, Rodgers reiterated that Sturridge's role will be as essential as anyone coming in for the Reds to succeed.
"I have spoken to Daniel and said about how important he is to the team," he added.
"The confidence I have in him has been shown in his performances and goals."
"He has scored 36 goals in 50 games and you are not doing that if you are not happy. Happy with your life. Happy with your football."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- WWE News: CM Punk Merchandise Pulled From Stands, Punk Chasing Royalties For WWE 2K15 Inclusion [VIDEO]
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed