Liverpool FC Transfer News: Rodgers Urges Sturridge To Look At The Bright Side Ahead of Imminent Mario Balotelli Signing
By Mark Wayne Eubank | August 25, 2014 3:54 PM EST
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers urges his top striker, Daniel Sturridge, to take things positively, should the Merseysiders successfully sign Mario Balotelli.
"You are not worried about what someone else can come in and do," said the 41-year-old.
Liverpool's Daniel Sturridge celebrates after scoring a goal against Southampton during their English Premier League soccer match at Anfield in Liverpool, northern England August 17, 2014.
"If you are a top player and you are looking at another top player coming in then you will be thinking, 'He can help us.'
"If you are a top player with a top mentality then you respond to the competition."
The England international had lived under the shadows of Luis Suarez, so to speak, since moving to Stamford Bridge in January 2013, and is seemingly destined to suffer a similar fate again even after the Uruguayan's departure this summer.
Enjoying a healthy 2013/14 campaign, the former Manchester City and Chelsea man was able to fill the scoresheets with his 22 goals in the Premier League, alongside 9 assists. Spectacular as his statline relatively seems, he was still regarded as Suarez's sidekick, who was oftentimes overlooked.
As a precaution to a possible fallout in the dugout, Rodgers reiterated that Sturridge's role will be as essential as anyone coming in for the Reds to succeed.
"I have spoken to Daniel and said about how important he is to the team," he added.
"The confidence I have in him has been shown in his performances and goals."
"He has scored 36 goals in 50 games and you are not doing that if you are not happy. Happy with your life. Happy with your football."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports