Liverpool FC Transfer News: Rodgers Urges Sturridge To Look At The Bright Side Ahead of Imminent Mario Balotelli Signing
By Mark Wayne Eubank | August 25, 2014 3:54 PM EST
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers urges his top striker, Daniel Sturridge, to take things positively, should the Merseysiders successfully sign Mario Balotelli.
"You are not worried about what someone else can come in and do," said the 41-year-old.
Liverpool's Daniel Sturridge celebrates after scoring a goal against Southampton during their English Premier League soccer match at Anfield in Liverpool, northern England August 17, 2014.
"If you are a top player and you are looking at another top player coming in then you will be thinking, 'He can help us.'
"If you are a top player with a top mentality then you respond to the competition."
The England international had lived under the shadows of Luis Suarez, so to speak, since moving to Stamford Bridge in January 2013, and is seemingly destined to suffer a similar fate again even after the Uruguayan's departure this summer.
Enjoying a healthy 2013/14 campaign, the former Manchester City and Chelsea man was able to fill the scoresheets with his 22 goals in the Premier League, alongside 9 assists. Spectacular as his statline relatively seems, he was still regarded as Suarez's sidekick, who was oftentimes overlooked.
As a precaution to a possible fallout in the dugout, Rodgers reiterated that Sturridge's role will be as essential as anyone coming in for the Reds to succeed.
"I have spoken to Daniel and said about how important he is to the team," he added.
"The confidence I have in him has been shown in his performances and goals."
"He has scored 36 goals in 50 games and you are not doing that if you are not happy. Happy with your life. Happy with your football."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports