A Mysterious Woman In Black Walked Over 800 Miles In Three Weeks For No Reason
By Usha Hari | August 25, 2014 3:37 PM EST
Elizabeth Poles, also known as the "Mysterious Woman in Black", walked over 800 miles across American highways for no particular reason. She has reached her destination in Winchester, Virginia safe and sound though a bit worn out, after roaming the countryside for at least three weeks. However her brother thinks her journey is far from over.
A woman uses a mobile device w
A woman uses a mobile device while walking past a Telus store in Ottawa February 19, 2014. Canadian telecom companies have paid a combined C$5.27 billion ($4.78 billion), a record high amount, to secure licenses for prime airwaves on which they plan to build more powerful wireless networks, the federal government said on Wednesday, as a new national challenger looked set to emerge from Quebec. REUTERS/Chris Wattie
Though many people online said that they have seen Poles, as a disabled war veteran, dressed in a black robe, her goals remain obscure as she traversed over 800 miles on foot before reaching her destination in Winchester, Virginia.
Though Poles had planned a solitary journey, she was often joined by momentary often unwelcomed companions along her trip. These curious people mostly were keen to take her pictures and to know about the idea behind the trip or to simply observe upclose the Mysterious Woman in Black they had heard so much about.
At one point of her journey, the crowd swelled so much that the assistance of cops had to be asked for. "She seemed to be in really good condition", Capt. Doug Watson said. "I spoke with her and she was very articulate and very appreciative of our help". She just said, "I wish people would mind their own business".
Shrouded in all-black clothing, a bereaved mother of two has been walking on along the Appalachian US, drawing interest from locals and online community all over the country. She chose mostly country side highways and small towns along US Southeast and Midwest highways -- Georgia, Ohio, West Virginia and Kentucky, with a stick and a small bag. She was a trend in the internet as the #womaninblack as she silently walked on, the reason of which we may never know.
Raymond Poles the brother of the woman told that she started getting treatment in a VA hospital in North Carolina and used to wander off from home often. Poles shaved her head and wore the black robe before she set out on her epic journey that finally took her to Virginia where her father raised her.
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- Top Fake News Websites - Be Aware Or Beware
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar