A Mysterious Woman In Black Walked Over 800 Miles In Three Weeks For No Reason
By Usha Hari | August 25, 2014 3:37 PM EST
Elizabeth Poles, also known as the "Mysterious Woman in Black", walked over 800 miles across American highways for no particular reason. She has reached her destination in Winchester, Virginia safe and sound though a bit worn out, after roaming the countryside for at least three weeks. However her brother thinks her journey is far from over.
A woman uses a mobile device w
A woman uses a mobile device while walking past a Telus store in Ottawa February 19, 2014. Canadian telecom companies have paid a combined C$5.27 billion ($4.78 billion), a record high amount, to secure licenses for prime airwaves on which they plan to build more powerful wireless networks, the federal government said on Wednesday, as a new national challenger looked set to emerge from Quebec. REUTERS/Chris Wattie
Though many people online said that they have seen Poles, as a disabled war veteran, dressed in a black robe, her goals remain obscure as she traversed over 800 miles on foot before reaching her destination in Winchester, Virginia.
Though Poles had planned a solitary journey, she was often joined by momentary often unwelcomed companions along her trip. These curious people mostly were keen to take her pictures and to know about the idea behind the trip or to simply observe upclose the Mysterious Woman in Black they had heard so much about.
At one point of her journey, the crowd swelled so much that the assistance of cops had to be asked for. "She seemed to be in really good condition", Capt. Doug Watson said. "I spoke with her and she was very articulate and very appreciative of our help". She just said, "I wish people would mind their own business".
Shrouded in all-black clothing, a bereaved mother of two has been walking on along the Appalachian US, drawing interest from locals and online community all over the country. She chose mostly country side highways and small towns along US Southeast and Midwest highways -- Georgia, Ohio, West Virginia and Kentucky, with a stick and a small bag. She was a trend in the internet as the #womaninblack as she silently walked on, the reason of which we may never know.
Raymond Poles the brother of the woman told that she started getting treatment in a VA hospital in North Carolina and used to wander off from home often. Poles shaved her head and wore the black robe before she set out on her epic journey that finally took her to Virginia where her father raised her.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Racist Note Stereotyping Asian Drivers Left on Parked Car in NSW Sparks Online Outrage
- Prince Harry Reunites With Cressida Bonas On ‘Sex Tape’ Date Amid Dating Camilla Thurlow Reports
- New Zealand Election Countdown: Final Campaign Week Marred With More Controversial 'Revelations'
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Modern Forensic Science Reveals Evidence Of Brutal Killing Of King Richard III