A Mysterious Woman In Black Walked Over 800 Miles In Three Weeks For No Reason
By Usha Hari | August 25, 2014 3:37 PM EST
Elizabeth Poles, also known as the "Mysterious Woman in Black", walked over 800 miles across American highways for no particular reason. She has reached her destination in Winchester, Virginia safe and sound though a bit worn out, after roaming the countryside for at least three weeks. However her brother thinks her journey is far from over.
A woman uses a mobile device w
A woman uses a mobile device while walking past a Telus store in Ottawa February 19, 2014. Canadian telecom companies have paid a combined C$5.27 billion ($4.78 billion), a record high amount, to secure licenses for prime airwaves on which they plan to build more powerful wireless networks, the federal government said on Wednesday, as a new national challenger looked set to emerge from Quebec. REUTERS/Chris Wattie
Though many people online said that they have seen Poles, as a disabled war veteran, dressed in a black robe, her goals remain obscure as she traversed over 800 miles on foot before reaching her destination in Winchester, Virginia.
Though Poles had planned a solitary journey, she was often joined by momentary often unwelcomed companions along her trip. These curious people mostly were keen to take her pictures and to know about the idea behind the trip or to simply observe upclose the Mysterious Woman in Black they had heard so much about.
At one point of her journey, the crowd swelled so much that the assistance of cops had to be asked for. "She seemed to be in really good condition", Capt. Doug Watson said. "I spoke with her and she was very articulate and very appreciative of our help". She just said, "I wish people would mind their own business".
Shrouded in all-black clothing, a bereaved mother of two has been walking on along the Appalachian US, drawing interest from locals and online community all over the country. She chose mostly country side highways and small towns along US Southeast and Midwest highways -- Georgia, Ohio, West Virginia and Kentucky, with a stick and a small bag. She was a trend in the internet as the #womaninblack as she silently walked on, the reason of which we may never know.
Raymond Poles the brother of the woman told that she started getting treatment in a VA hospital in North Carolina and used to wander off from home often. Poles shaved her head and wore the black robe before she set out on her epic journey that finally took her to Virginia where her father raised her.
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports