BREAKING: Strong 6.9-magnitude Earthquake Strikes Peru, Authorities Rule Out Tsunami Threat to Hawaii
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | August 25, 2014 3:04 PM EST
Peru has been hit by a great 6.9-magnitude earthquake on Sunday.
The U.S. Geological Survey said the temblor's center was recorded 43 kilometres (27 miles) east-northeast of an area called Tambo, and about 467 kilometres (290 miles) southeast of the capital of Lima.
People stand on the street after evacuating an apartment building after a 6.3 magnitude earthquake was felt in Mexico City, July 29, 2014. A magnitude 6.3 earthquake hit southwest of Juan Rodriguez Clara, in the eastern Mexican state of Veracruz on Tuesday at a depth of 95 km (60 miles), the U.S. Geological Survey said, but there were no immediate reports of injuries or damages. The quake was felt in Mexico City, Reuters witnesses said, where it rattled doors and shook light fittings. Mexico City Mayor Miguel Angel Mancera said in a tweet that there were evacuations in the capital, but that after inspection, no damages or injuries were reported. REUTERS/Claudia Daut (MEXICO - Tags: DISASTER)
It had a depth of 101 kilometres (62.8 miles) and happened at 2321GMT on Sunday.
Reports have yet to come in if the strong quake resulted to any major damage or injuries. Local media said the temblor was felt in Lima as well as in many cities of southeastern Peru such as Cuzco and Arequipa.
Peru authorities ruled out potential tsunami threat to Hawaii as result of the quake, despite it happening in the country's coastal areas. They maintained its epicentre was far inland.
Reuters reported a number of large mines operate in the immediate vicinity of the epicentre, including copper, silver and gold mines.
Copper mine Toromocho, in the region of Junin, incurred no damage, according to an unidentified representative for Chinese miner Chinalco.
Operations of Southern Copper Corp in the Moquegua and Tacna regions were likewise unaffected by the quake.
Peru's 6.9-magnitude earthquake follows the 6.1-magnitude temblor that rocked California some 12 hours earlier.
The California quake injured some 120 people and ignited a number of fires. It caused widespread damage in the scenic Napa valley wine region, including crumpled historic buildings, cracked roads and highways and damaged wineries, prompting authorities to declare a state of emergency in Northern California.
The California quake's epicentre was 51 miles (82 kilometres) southwest of Sacramento. It was felt as far away as San Francisco.
"It was the most powerful earthquake I've ever felt," Napa resident Dianne Cameron told Bloomberg. "It was lifting the bed off the floor so much that I had to hold onto the mattress so I wouldn't fall off. It was as if someone picked up the house and started shaking it."
Off at Iceland, authorities are likewise monitoring the seismic activity over at the Bardarbunga volcano. Although the country's Meteorological Office had downgraded an earlier eruption alert, it maintained the triple threat of earthquakes, eruptions and flooding still remain around the area.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier