Android 4.4.2 KitKat For Sony Xperia T, TX, V No More But Xperia SP Remains Eligible
By Ryan Inoyori | August 25, 2014 3:00 PM EST
Sony Xperia T, Xperia TX and Xperia V are not anymore included on the official Android 4.4 KitKat upgrade plans from the company after the confirmation of software support termination on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean. But Sony Xperia SP remains eligible to Android KitKat after the company did not confirm software support termination.
End of Life Cycle for Xperia T, TX and V
Users of Sony Xperia T, Xperia TX and Xperia V should not expect another major software upgrade after Sony Mobile official announced the end of life cycle. According to the official software support pages on these smartphones, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean is the latest and final firmware version.
Any future firmware upgrades for Xperia T, Xperia TX and Xperia V are expected to be minor containing bug fixes, enhancements and improvements which run Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS. However, continuity for minor software updates is still under the consensus of Sony Mobile.
Sony Xperia T, Xperia TX and Xperia V initially run Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich then received two major firmware updates which are Android 4.1 and Android 4.3 Jelly Bean versions within its life cycle.
Sony Xperia SP Android KitKat Still Eligible
Sony Xperia SP users on the other hand can expect some hope on receiving Android 4.4 KitKat update after the company did not include the device with Xperia T, Xperia TX and Xperia V software support termination.
So far, Xperia SP received only one major firmware update which is Android 4.3 Jelly Bean in February 2014 upgrading the smartphone from its factory OS version Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. Android 4.4 KitKat remains under investigation based on the details from its software support page and would be the second major firmware update.
Sony Xperia SP is technically eligible for another major software upgrade since it remains under the standard 18 months software support window period followed by manufacturers. The device was released in April 2013 with life cycle expected to end on October 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- New Samsung Galaxy S5 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Released, Verizon Guide and Installation
- 'World Of Warcraft Warlords Of Draenor' Players Can Get The Free Character Boost Now And Still Upgrade To The Collector's Edition On Nov. 13, 2014, Plus The Horde Chopper Mount Will Only Be Available Until Sept. 30, 2014 [WATCH VIDEO]