Cameroonian Soccer Player Dies From Rock Thrown By Fans
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | August 25, 2014 2:16 PM EST
Albert Ebosse, a 24-year-old soccer player succumbed to a head injury after being hit by a rock thrown by fans in a soccer match in Algeria, the Confederation of African Football reported last Sunday.
According to Yahoo Sports, the Cameroonian striker was the victim of an unfortunate object thrown by fans after his squad, lost at home to USM Alger in the northern city of Tizi Ouzou. The JB Kabylie players were lining up to the tunnel when Ebosse was struck by a hard object later identified as a rock hurled from the section of the team's supporters.
Ebosse was the leading goal scorer for the league last season and scored the equalizer for the game from a penalty. A police investigation is now being commission to ascertain the facts of his death. The team rushed him to a nearby hospital 500 meters away from the stadium where he was pronounced dead.
"We expect exemplary sanctions to be taken against this grave act of violence", Issa Hayatou, the president of the African confederation, said in a statement last Sunday. He was present at the game but has already departed minutes before the incident transpired.
Both the Algeria Football federation and the league directed an emergency meeting due to the incident and the stadium was immediately closed until further notice. Mohamed Raouraoua, president of the Algeria Football Federation, hopes for a speedy resolution of the unfortunate incident and that the perpetrators of the act will face justice and be punished.
The Cameroonian player was an instant hit when he joined Kabylie last year. He amassed a total 17 goals for the year and led the league propelling his team to second place. They trailed USM Alger, their opponents last Sunday, who also offered their sympathies to the family of Ebosse and the team as well.
"JS Kabylie's Cameroonian striker has lost his life after being hit in the head by something launched from the stands," USM Alger said. "This terrible news is saddening for football in our nation and in Cameroon and arrives like a bombshell".
The striker's remains were brought to a military hospital and will soon be flown to his native land.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy