Cameroonian Soccer Player Dies From Rock Thrown By Fans
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | August 25, 2014 2:16 PM EST
Albert Ebosse, a 24-year-old soccer player succumbed to a head injury after being hit by a rock thrown by fans in a soccer match in Algeria, the Confederation of African Football reported last Sunday.
According to Yahoo Sports, the Cameroonian striker was the victim of an unfortunate object thrown by fans after his squad, lost at home to USM Alger in the northern city of Tizi Ouzou. The JB Kabylie players were lining up to the tunnel when Ebosse was struck by a hard object later identified as a rock hurled from the section of the team's supporters.
Ebosse was the leading goal scorer for the league last season and scored the equalizer for the game from a penalty. A police investigation is now being commission to ascertain the facts of his death. The team rushed him to a nearby hospital 500 meters away from the stadium where he was pronounced dead.
"We expect exemplary sanctions to be taken against this grave act of violence", Issa Hayatou, the president of the African confederation, said in a statement last Sunday. He was present at the game but has already departed minutes before the incident transpired.
Both the Algeria Football federation and the league directed an emergency meeting due to the incident and the stadium was immediately closed until further notice. Mohamed Raouraoua, president of the Algeria Football Federation, hopes for a speedy resolution of the unfortunate incident and that the perpetrators of the act will face justice and be punished.
The Cameroonian player was an instant hit when he joined Kabylie last year. He amassed a total 17 goals for the year and led the league propelling his team to second place. They trailed USM Alger, their opponents last Sunday, who also offered their sympathies to the family of Ebosse and the team as well.
"JS Kabylie's Cameroonian striker has lost his life after being hit in the head by something launched from the stands," USM Alger said. "This terrible news is saddening for football in our nation and in Cameroon and arrives like a bombshell".
The striker's remains were brought to a military hospital and will soon be flown to his native land.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft