Five Most Important Films in Richard Attenborough’s Career
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | August 25, 2014 2:03 PM EST
Richard Attenborough, is one of the most iconic figures of British cinema. He passed away last Sunday, Aug 24 at the age of 90. His distinguished career in both theatre and film made him a renowned representative of British films to the world. Here are some of the most important films in his career (in chronological order):
Sir Richard Attenborough attends British television actor John Thaw's memorial service at St. Martin in the Fields church in London, in this file picture taken September 4, 2002. British actor and film director Attenborough died on August 24, 2014 at the age of 90, the BBC reported, citing his son.
The Great Escape (1963)
The 1963 film, directed by John Sturges, was about how some Allied prisoners had a "great escape" from the German camp during WWII. Attenborough played the character of Sqn. Ldr. Roger Bartlett RAF ("Big X"). His character was based on South African-born British POW, Roger Bushell. The US viewers came to know about Attenborough for the first time from this film.
The Chess Players (1977)
The 1977 Indian film, directed by Satyajit Ray, was based on a short story written by renowned Hindi author Munshi Premchand. The film takes place in India under the British rule. Attenborough plays General James Outram whose secret job is to ensure the annexation of a major independent kingdom ruled by Wajid Ali Shah (played by Amjad Khan). The film marks Attenborough's association with internationally acclaimed directors like Ray.
The 1982 film, was directed by Attenborough himself. It was about the life of Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi -- the great Indian leader who preached non-violence. He took a chance with Ben Kingsley who was relatively unknown during those days. The movie was nominated for 11 Academy Awards and won eight of those. Attenborough won Best Director, Kingsley Best Actor and the film Best Picture.
Jurassic Park (1993)
The 1993 film, directed by Steven Spielberg, was a landmark in sci-fi genre. Attenborough plays John Hammond, the billionaire CEO who creates the park. The movie achieved phenomenal success at the box office. At the same time, it was hugely appreciated by critics as well. The modern viewers can probably identify Attenborough most with this film.
Miracle on 34th Street (1994)
The 1994 film, directed by Les Mayfield, was about a Christmas miracle movie. Attenborough plays the character of Kris Kringle who actually is Santa Claus. A young girl named Susan does not quite believe in Santa as her mother told her the reality about the Christmas angel. However, her life changes when she meets Kris, a departmental store Santa.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Premiere Questions: 'Frozen' Story Kicks Off, Queen Elsa vs Emma Swan vs The Evil Queen - New Story Unfolds [SPOILERS]
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate