ISIS Heavily Recruiting in Canada – Imam Syed Soharwardy
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | August 25, 2014 11:30 AM EST
Imam Syed Soharwardy, founder of Muslims Against Terrorism and the Islamic Supreme Council of Canada, has denounced the actions of ISIS saying their activities weren't borne of the Islam teachings. At the same time, he disclosed the group has already infiltrated Canada and has been heavily recruiting members in the country.
Reuters/Erik De Castro
A Filipino Muslim looks at her mobile phone while waiting for morning prayers to begin, during the celebration of Eid al-Fitr, marking the end of the holy month of Ramadan, early morning at a public park in Manila July 28, 2014. REUTERS/Erik De Castro
Soharwardy said the ISIS may look like Muslims, even to the point of quoting Qur'an and praying like Muslims but they are not Muslims.
"They are deviant people, and they are doing exactly everything which goes against Islam," he told CBC News.
Simply put, the ISIS is simply just a terrorist group, Soharwardy noted. "The atrocity that is being carried out by ISIS is quite horrible. It's quite inhumane. It's terrorism."
He disclosed over 100 people in Canada have been successfully recruited by the militant group to go and fight for them in Iraq and Syria.
And just like in the UK, the active campaigning for new members or recruits was presumed to have happened in places much public for everyone to see, including "in our universities, in our colleges, in the places of worship, in our community."
In the UK, campaign leaflets about the terror group were being distributed right in London's busiest tourist districts.
The Canadian Council of Imams likewise reiterated that the ISIS militants are not their Muslim brothers.
"ISIS has manifested some of the worst and barbaric human behaviour by mercilessly and brutally killing innocent people, looting, robbing, kidnapping and enslaving hundreds of Muslim and non-Muslim women and children and committing all kinds of atrocities against religious minorities," CCI said in a statement.
The militant group has displaced entire populations and just recently, released a video showing the beheading of American journalist James Foley.
Reports circulated Foley was singled out among the other captives because he had a brother serving in the American military.
CCI said the activities of the ISIS run contrary to the teachings of Islam, which is to establish peace and justice and safeguard human rights. "We categorically condemn the actions of this group and its monstrous crimes against humanity, absolutely and without equivocation."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown