Arsenal FC: Wenger Highlights Squad Strength Ahead of Besiktas Clash
By Mark Wayne Eubank | August 25, 2014 11:14 AM EST
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is, thus far, satisfied with how his squad is performing, following a great comeback to make something out of Saturday's Premier League fixture against Everton.
The Gunners were seemingly going to drop 3 points with the way the first-half went, conceding goals at the 19th and 45th minute.
Arsenal's coach Arsene Wenger is pictured during the first leg of their Champions League qualifying soccer match against Besiktas at Ataturk Olympic stadium in Istanbul August 19, 2014.
However, they showed great composure and concentration after the restart from which they were rewarded with an Aaron Ramsey effort at the 83rd minute, before Olivier Giroud delivered the screamer before injury time.
Wenger was all praises for his French hitman, whom he believes could surpass his output from last season.
"He scored 16 [in the Premier League last year] and he's very convincing," the 64-year-old mentor told Arsenal.com.
"You never have to set any limitations for any player. For me, he's improving every year and don't rule it out that he scores 25."
While the former AS Monaco manager believes that keeping their record unscathed ahead of their Champions League play-off return-leg against Besiktas is crucial, he knows that his personnel upfront has much quality to get the job done.
"It is a big confidence boost for us because you wonder if it will be a repetition of last season," he added.
"We need a good performance. We have Besiktas at home and the task is clear for us - to win the game. At home I believe we can do it if we play with the same spirit."
"We have Sanogo who will be an important asset, we have Giroud, we have Lukas Podolski, we have Joel Campbellwho can play centre forward. We have Alexis and Walcott coming back. Let's not forget that."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop