Arsenal FC: Wenger Highlights Squad Strength Ahead of Besiktas Clash
By Mark Wayne Eubank | August 25, 2014 11:14 AM EST
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is, thus far, satisfied with how his squad is performing, following a great comeback to make something out of Saturday's Premier League fixture against Everton.
The Gunners were seemingly going to drop 3 points with the way the first-half went, conceding goals at the 19th and 45th minute.
Arsenal's coach Arsene Wenger is pictured during the first leg of their Champions League qualifying soccer match against Besiktas at Ataturk Olympic stadium in Istanbul August 19, 2014.
However, they showed great composure and concentration after the restart from which they were rewarded with an Aaron Ramsey effort at the 83rd minute, before Olivier Giroud delivered the screamer before injury time.
Wenger was all praises for his French hitman, whom he believes could surpass his output from last season.
"He scored 16 [in the Premier League last year] and he's very convincing," the 64-year-old mentor told Arsenal.com.
"You never have to set any limitations for any player. For me, he's improving every year and don't rule it out that he scores 25."
While the former AS Monaco manager believes that keeping their record unscathed ahead of their Champions League play-off return-leg against Besiktas is crucial, he knows that his personnel upfront has much quality to get the job done.
"It is a big confidence boost for us because you wonder if it will be a repetition of last season," he added.
"We need a good performance. We have Besiktas at home and the task is clear for us - to win the game. At home I believe we can do it if we play with the same spirit."
"We have Sanogo who will be an important asset, we have Giroud, we have Lukas Podolski, we have Joel Campbellwho can play centre forward. We have Alexis and Walcott coming back. Let's not forget that."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money