‘Doctor Who’ Deep Breath Spoilers: Eleven Phones In [VIDEOS]
By Anne Lu | August 25, 2014 2:14 AM EST
“Doctor Who” season eight has aired, and it left viewers pleased and bemused at the same time. How did the Doctor do that?
Spoiler warning: The following contains spoilers from the recently aired “Doctor Who” episode, “Deep Breath.”
Scottish actor Peter Capaldi arrives for the world premiere of his film "World War Z" in London June 2, 2013.
Yes, it was the Eleventh Doctor (Matt Smith) phoning Clara (Jenna Coleman) near the end of the show. The Doctor called Clara from Trenzalore, where he was understood to be spending his final moments, to ask her to help his new incarnation (Peter Capaldi).
Clara was having difficulty coming to terms with the Doctor’s new face and body. Although both Capaldi and Smith have the same lithe build, they aren’t of the same temperament or even age. Smith is the youngest actor to play the titular role when he first debuted as the Doctor at 27, while Capaldi is the oldest at 56.
Also, the 12th Doctor appears darker compared to the previous ones. Smith and his more recent predecessors, David Tennant and Christopher Eccleston, have an affable air about them. Capaldi, on the other hand, looks stern and imposing. His methods are also questionable, as was proven in the episode.
The previous Doctors would have never left Clara alone and afraid with the enemies, but the new one didn’t seem to mind it a bit. He, of course, did not really abandon his companion; he was just disguised as one of the robots. However, that brief period of abandonment was enough time for the viewers’ doubt about the Doctor’s compassion to settle in.
And just how did the Half-Face Man (Peter Fernandino) die? Did the Time Lord push him to his death? Uncharacteristic of the previous Doctors, Twelve unleashed his fury against the episode’s villain, threatening to kill him if given no alternative. Half-Face Man didn’t seem to be the type to off himself, but it’s hard to know for sure.
Naturally, with the Doctor’s new incarnation’s more austere persona, Clara was uneasy around him. So near the end of the show, Smith made a cameo as Eleven to allay Clara’s fears about Twelve, and to beg her to “help him, for me.”
It was a touching send-off. Fans thought they had seen the last of Smith in “The Time of the Doctor,” that’s why they were pleasantly surprised to learn that that’s not the case. Reactions to his cameo were expectedly positive, with fans expressing their bittersweet feeling on seeing their beloved actor appear for the last time.
— MeshForce (@MeshForce) August 24, 2014
Ok. I actually just started sobbing when #MattSmith Doctor just called Clara. I love you #RaggedyMan. @DoctorWho_BBCA — Kerianne Chandoo (@keri_chandoo) August 24, 2014
#MattSmith thank you thank you thank you for coming back once more. I'll miss you, & I love you, Raggedy man ❤️
— khaleesi (@Steph_JCB) August 23, 2014
What I learned from 8:1, #PeterCapaldi is brilliant and #MattSmith is never actually leaving. #alwaysthesameman #okaywiththis #DoctorWho — Rachel Boyce (@rachelanne512) August 24, 2014
— Seda (@sedaklcsy) August 24, 2014
OMG if feel like crying @smith_lynne @Jenna_Coleman_ #MattSmith JUST MADE ME UPSET clara i will miss u !! — Sarah Greenwood (@SarahLouise2014) August 23, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 29, 2014: Brooke Must Decide If She Will Continue With Her Plans Of Marrying Bill [WATCH VIDEO]
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate