Islamic State: British Intelligence Agencies Identify Rapper Abdel Bary Is Jihadist John, the Beheader of James Foley
By Vittorio Hernandez | August 24, 2014 8:52 PM EST
Hours after British media reported that Abdel-Majed Abdel Bary is the main suspect in the beheading of American photojournalist James Foley last week, British intelligence agencies M15 and M16 identified on Sunday that the rapper is indeed jihadist John.
REUTERS/Social Media Website v
A masked Islamic State militant holding a knife speaks next to man purported to be U.S. journalist James Foley at an unknown location in this still image from an undated video posted on a social media website. Islamic State insurgents released the video on August 19, 2014 purportedly showing the beheading of Foley, who had gone missing in Syria nearly two years ago, and images of another U.S. journalist whose life they said depended on U.S. action in Iraq. The video, titled "A Message to America," was released a day after Islamic State, an al Qaeda offshoot that has overrun large parts of Iraq, threatened to attack Americans "in any place." U.S. officials said they were working to determine its authenticity.
The positive identification, reported by British media, was aided by a photo that Bary tweeted in early August of himself wearing a military camouflage and holding a decapitated head. There was also another image that showed two decapitated bodies near a fence with four severed hears on the railing of the fence. The bodies are believed to be Syrian soldiers captured by the ISIL when the extremist group overran the military base in eastern Syria.
In addition, new photos were discovered showing Bary with plastic explosives. The second set of photos, which included an image of Bary brandishing a firearm, was captioned "Fireworks ;)" Bary's Twitter page has been taken down.
As a result of the positive identification, SAS personnel made up of groups of four-member teams, have been deployed to northern Iraq in the past two days to hunt Bary, reported the Mail.
Bary is one of the three jihadists identified by former hostages and called Beatles because of their British accent. The two others are called "George" and "Ringo," also named after the two other members of the popular 1960s boy band.
Bary's build, skin tone and accent are similar to John's, plus he went to Syria in 2013 to fight in the civil war. Prior to flying to Syria, he was known as L Jinny, an aspiring rapper from West London. His music was played on BBC Radio 1.
His being a rapper and having recordings of his voice would provide investigators, who are using voice recognition technology, more ways to confirm is he is the jihadist John.
The wannabe-rapper also had come out in music videos titled Overdose, Flying High and Dreamer. Overdose, seen below, has over 8 million hits.
After being indoctrinated by an Islamic preacher named Anjem Choudary, he left the family residence in Maide Vale district in London "for the sake of Allah."
Besides Bary, other suspects in the decapitation of Foley are 30-year-old Aine Davis, a former drug dealer and an ex-gang member who has converted to Islam and has been to Syria, and Dr Shajul Islam, the sibling of a British doctor accused of kidnapping two Western war reporters whose medical licence was suspended by the National Health Service. He used to work at St Bart's Hospital.
Islam and his two older brothers, however, were released in 2013 because British journalist John Cantile and Dutch photographer Jeroen Derlmans did not testify against the siblings.
The doctor claimed he went to Syria to treat victims of the civil war, which is still ongoing.
His brother Razul had also been to Syria and is believed to be fighting with the terror group Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate