Transfer News: Manchester United To Smash The Transfer Record of £50m by Signing Angel Di Maria
By Mohammad Sohaib | August 24, 2014 5:25 PM EST
Arsenal have sent a representative to seal the deal involving Real Madrid forward Alvaro Morata
Manchester United is about to sign Angel Di Maria in what is said to be a record smashing deal in the Premier League. The deal will presumably go beyond the £50 million record set by Chelsea in a record transfer for Liverpool's Fernando Torres. Di Maria has reportedly said that he has agreed to the $180,000 a week offer from the Reds.
The Argentina and Real Madrid winger has been a La Liga sensation after he scored four and assisted 17 goals in 27 appearances. However, his 91 key passes to the world's most valuable players, Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale, made the real difference. Three goals and five assists in nine games indicated that Di Maria had a key role in Real Madrid's tenth Champions League title. He will wear the famous No. 7 shirt for Manchester United.
It is believed that United will go through the transfer even if it is crosses the £60 million mark. The United management has been strongly criticized by former players and fans for being reluctant in making transfer moves. However, it seems that Ed Woodward is eager to spend generously in a bid to build a new team and bring quality to Old Trafford.
Guillem Balague, Sky Sports reporter, broke the news of the deal being sealed by Red Devils. "There is agreement between the club and the player and it is expected that the announcement will soon be made official because the positions of the two clubs are thought to be very close," Balague said in an exclusive interview for Sky Sports. "United accept the valuation of the player above the 60m mark (Real paid 36 million to Benfica in 2010). The final cost of his transfer will depend on variables," he added.
Di Maria seems to be extremely excited at the prospect of being playing under Louis van Gaal. He wants to make his philosophy work at Old Trafford. Morover, as a winger, he can be very handy in a 3-5-2 philosophy. It is believed that a deal is going to be sealed at the start of the following week as both parties have agreed on the terms and conditions of the offer. Di Maria is said to write a farewell letter to his fans at Bernabeu and explain the reasons of leaving the club.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- DeMarcus Cousins, Omar Casspi Lift Undermanned Sacramento Kings Over New Orleans Pelicans, 99-89
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid